Get a hobby!

As most of you will probably know, I am virtually housebound through illness, which means that I spend as much time as possible in the garden, but don't have the energy or health to venture much further.  Car trips are limited to perhaps once a month or even longer intervals. We are lucky enough to have a huge garden and a couple of fields and I potter about outside and luckily my OH does most of the heavy work like lifting pots, refilling water cans and general digging.

The garden is a real pleasure for me, and I try to spend a few hours in it every day at this time of year. We feed the birds, the hedgehogs too and grow many pollen producing plants and trees and have a few wild flower patches too. I don't expect everyone to enjoy gardening and until you get down to actually doing it yourself, you can wonder as to why other people derive so much pleasure from producing their own fruit and vegetables, pretty flowers and trees.

So imagine my dismay when relatives visited us this week and suggested that I get a hobby so I don't spend so much time doing "nothing", this after I had given them a tour of our garden.  They must think we have some sort of garden fairy who waves fairy dust and everything looks wonderfully cared for as if by magic.  When I think back to my late father working tirelessly in his beautiful garden, I knew that it was such a joy to him to see it develop over the years, but I don't think I appreciated the effort it took to keep it looking so lovely - but I do now.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,119
    I have friends with a large, 1 hectare garden in Belgium which, for the last 12 years,  they have converted from scrub land to a beautiful house and garden which is in the Belgian yellow book, features on TV and in magazines and gets visitors by the coachload from Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France and even the UK now.

It is on a slope so has been "layered", has borders, island beds, rockeries, water features, scree, woodland, serious potager, alpine house, greenhouse, arbours, lawns, terraces, pots..................

Can't tell you many people, even keen gardeners, don't believe they don't have help and always ask how many hours of work it takes each week to maintain it.   They also don't believe the answers - it isn't work, it's our pleasure.  Time spent depends on the season and what else they have on as they have many other interests but so many people only see a garden as work.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,636
    That's exactly what my neighbour said to me "It's a lot of work", to which l replied "Not to me, it isn't". 
    Don't get me wrong, she loves to come round and look at the garden, and appreciates it. It's nice to see it through someone else's eyes, and l know what she was saying, but it's my hobby. I have no skills in the crafts department, my art teacher at school despaired of me and although l can knit (after a fashion), it holds no pleasure for me. My only other hobby is reading and l suppose you could say watching TV (although naturally l only watch really highbrow stuff 😎).
    I find it a strange suggestion @Guernsey Donkey2, that you should get a hobby, but then there's now't so queer as folk as they say !
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,119
    It's the same sort of thing with people who don't understand that some of us enjoy cooking proper, varied, interesting meals each day or making your own clothes that fit or suit your shape or budget better. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    People will say ‘ and what do you do?’  And the reply is usually ‘just a housewife’. Try being a full time house wife and mother, it’s easier to go out to work. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,122
    I used to complain when my husband described himself as 'just an engineer' explaining it gave people the wrong impression, so, he began to describe me as a top class domestic engineer. It is amazing what a difference it can make to a conversation when you use words to introduce a different concept.

I think GD should have explained that her hobby was garden design!  Very on trend  :D
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,013
    What I find frustrating is that people think an informal garden takes less work as a formal garden. They think it just happens through neglect.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Maybe they have never seen 'real' wasteland @B3 nor the ends of many gardens! Hope the knee improves  :)
    The end of my garden takes informal to another level!
    Are we talking really wild?  I always tell somebody before I venture to the end of my garden just in case 

Scott of the End of the Garden. What a hero!