Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pears finally fruiting, so do I need to remove some fruit?

NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
We have had this house for nearly three years and not one of the half a dozen pear trees (unknown variety) we inherited have fruited, or even flowered. This year, one flowered and we have three small clusters of tiny pears, finally! Is it worth reducing each cluster to two in the hope that we might get a couple of pears growing to maturity, or is this not necessary when there is only a total of eleven babies?

Here is a pic of a wee cluster and the tree for reference:

Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    The tree will decide for itself in June https://www.thespruce.com/june-fruit-drop-1403308 so wait until that has happened. 

While the tree tree is still young I reduce the number of fruit it carries even more in July just allowing one fruit per main  branch for the first couple of years’ fruiting and increasing over the next two or three years until I think the tree can decide for itself ... although for my espalier I always check that it’s not over-burdening itself. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    Great, thanks Dove, will let them decide then... I am thrilled at the prospect of some pears, even though I don’t particularly like them, except baked  :)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Been a good set here too, @Nollie Just noticed this morning that some of the smaller fruit have started to drop as we near that time of year.  No sign of pear rust so far, but I've probably just jinxed myself!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    Pears are the best fruit in
    the world 😋 ❤️ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Pear rust , something to look up, thanks @BobTheGardener, I am determined to get these babies delivered and in the oven on a tarte tatin!
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    Are you sure that's a pear? it looks more apple like to me, both in leaves and fruit shape.
    My pear trees that size give about a bucket of fruit each but they are older, I also cut off (after the June drop) everything except one fruit per branch on a young tree.
    I'm in the same boat with unknown trees, bought a new house with two huge pears a ginormous plum that is at least 10m tall and an apple, all unknown types, I hope the pears are eaters.
    Hmm, we were told they were pears... but that was the estate agent, they know nothing. Just have to wait and see!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Skandi may be right, looking closer at the photo.  Same advice though. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Posts: 955
    my young tree had one of its 3 main branches snapped yesterday morning by the cat. I've just taped it up hoping for a miracle 
    Good luck @Old Arthritic marc - at least you know what fruit it is!