Wild salvia ID?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,494
This lovely purple salvia is growing in the hedgerows, low rosette of purple-tinged foliage at the base with a tint to the stems as well. The flowers look a bit bluer in the photo, it’s more the colour of S. Nemerosa Mainacht. Its nearly a metre high, though. Any ideas?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,947
    You didn't mention where it was growing (Calalonia or UK?) but this one can be found in both I think -
    https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/meadow-clary
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,494
    Hi Will, yes, that’s it, thank you! Growing outside my home here in Catalunya.  The local authorities have taken to strimming the banks twice a year, which seems to be benefiting some species over others, as its a fairly recent appearance on my doorstep. I have seen it growing in wilder areas on walks. Might have to introduce it to my garden...
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 520
    Lucky you @Nollie! Remember to take a plastic bag with you when you are next on a walk, oh and also a little fork.    :lol:
    Thanks, I will try, @floralies but it doesn’t always work because its so rocky its tricky to extract the roots. I see Chilterns have seeds, maybe thats the more ecologically sound approach!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    If there are lots of them growing in the verges etc, collecting a bit of seed isn't a problem
  • daffygardenerdaffygardener Posts: 109
    It’s beautiful and a very rich blue. Is rarely seen growing wild in the U.K. and I think it may be protected here. 
    Hi, thanks for your input, I will try collecting the seeds from the wild first - I did have some success doing this from the wild purple aquilegias that grow in abundance around here. It would be a shame to try and dig up one only to find I have severed it at the roots trying to dig it out of the rock, especially if its quite rare.