Greenhouse shading

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,420
Yeah first sign of a bit of sun and I'm already worrying about shading it out :# Just wondering what other people do for shading and when they use it? I've got a big sheet of shade mesh but the access is now very tricky to the sunny side of the greenhouse so I'm trying to figure out a better way to fit it. I used to just drape it over and clamp it in the corners but now I think I need some kind of framework to fit it to.

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 705
    I just put a dark sheet over mine then soak it
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,495
    Our polytunnel comes with a green shade mesh which OH drapes over and then clips.  However we do have access to both sides and we also keep both end doors open for extra cooling.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 784
    I've just planted tomatoes into the greenhouse and as the weather is so lovely and sunny I've hung off cuts of net curtain inside the vertical part of the south side of the greenhouse just to stop the burning effect of the sun, apart from that it's leave the door and roof light open to cool it down.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,265
    edited 15 May
    I’ve also got some bubble wrap, White on one side, silver on the other, I use that in the tomato GH. 
    I used to leave my winter bubble wrap up all through summer as well, but it fell to pieces, went to dust, I haven’t renewed it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 671
    I use white coolglass paint, on the roof, leave the sides clear, does reduce searing heat, by the winter it has normally been washed away.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,385
    I use that cheap bamboo screening stuff on rolls, the ends are stapled to and weighted down by lengths of wood so I just chuck it up and it stays up by itself. The bamboo rolls are 1m wide and I overlap them. Easy to roll up and store at the end of summer. Going on anytime now!
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 828
    I made mine last year,  I knocked up a simple wooden framework and fastened Plant Shade to it with stainless steel staples.

I too went down the internal net curtain path, just for those really sunny days.

But in the end how far do you go, I know some people who don't use any shading.