Brimstone butterfly

BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 762
Just had my first ever brimstone butterfly come into the garden twice even though it didn't settle. Chuffed to bits love bees and butterflies. Planted 5 buddleia this spring 

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 762
    Never seen a male my way in Birmingham. Seen 2 females though so they are about, I had a real rarety last year though. It was beautiful and rested on a bishop of Llandaff dahlia
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,281
    How wonderful to see these Brimstone butterflies in your garden OldAm, if there is one, there should be more soon.
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 762
    Hope so they are beautiful 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    If you want more, plant a purging buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica). Total brimstone-magnet as their caterpillars feed on it. And dandelions are good for attracting brimstones in in the first place!
  • edited 11 May
    Rhamnus cathartica likes alkaline or neutral soil. If you have acid soil then plant its other foodplant, Alder Buckthorn, Frangula alnus. They both need to be in sun and sheltered from the wind to be attractive to the butterflies.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    I had (and indeed have in my new garden) both, and they only went for the purging one. Maybe that's the first choice if it's available, else they'll take the other?