Plants just dumped in stores not looked after-Anyone notice this

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,272
    You could really pick up a bargain then Johnny 😉
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    I off in the week to two or three garden centre, they are a bit of a drive but once you get there they near each other. Thankfully the way they have diversified is good if you want out door plants. Pot's and plants are all out side, inside books, houseplants furniture, pet food etc, china, cloths and the restaurant. Just before you go to the out door plant etc there are bulbs and tools. Great layout take my trolley and straight outside and they look after their plants. They have three food shops there which is all home made and home grown and again well looked after.  
    I saw an advert on tv the other night for Trago, there’s one in Newton Abbot, Devon and one in Liskeard, Cornwall, they say there’s 3acres of GC , I haven’t been to Trago for 15 years but a look around the GC is pretty tempting. 
    When I visit my daughter in St Austell we go to the Wyvale for lunch, but she has a few places for plants all close to her, the Wyvale ,  Eden Project, a NGS nursery, Helegan, a Pinetum all selling plants.  
    Nothing anywhere near where I live. A  GC for compost, furniture, garden statues greenhouse’s, arbours, and all GH other paraphernalia  not many plants though. 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 761
    My issue with the non-plant items in the bigger garden centres is everything looks the same. There is a certain look about them, sort of washed out silvery grey that will surely soon seem heavily dated if it’s not already. And don’t get me started on the ornaments and paraphernalia: resin meerkats and Buddhas, canvas pictures of flowers in close up, wooden boards with horrendously twee messages and then there are signs you can buy saying things like ‘potting shed’. Do people really get confused and wander into the garage thinking it was the potting shed so put up a sign to help them out?

Sorry, I realise now that this post should be in Curmudgeons’ Corner and if people want to label me a taste snob well, yes, you’re right.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Picidae, I'm with you there. Things like china are over priced and mostly out dated as they can't sell them, the cloths well they have no where you can try them on, not that I like the cloths they sell. If I wanted a sign to tell me where to go in my garden or what it is ie potting shed I might need to give up gardening because that would mean everything would need a label. I have a well weathered stone fox which I love, it never came from a garden centre or DIY shop but from a man who hand made it for me I told him what I wanted and he made it, he also made my cherub bird bath and that's the extent of my ornaments. No signs in the back at all unless a few rows of seeds have gone in the only sign in the front is the house No.
    I know the tacky gifts can be a nuisance but I’m not sure the GH would keep going without them,  they don’t sell enough plants in the winter to cover their overheads.
    Without Christmas stuff and cafes we may not have these places at all.  

• JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 23
    @Lyn yea sometimes I do and take the chance that whatever I buy is  going to pull through and survive , I believe anything that dies off or is looking unsaleable the staff just throw them in the skip so it's better a few pounds from me and try and revive the poor thing depend on what it is than nothing at all I guess 😊
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,486
    Picidae said:
    My issue with the non-plant items in the bigger garden centres is everything looks the same. There is a certain look about them, sort of washed out silvery grey that will surely soon seem heavily dated if it’s not already. And don’t get me started on the ornaments and paraphernalia: resin meerkats and Buddhas, canvas pictures of flowers in close up, wooden boards with horrendously twee messages and then there are signs you can buy saying things like ‘potting shed’.
    I generally refer to that as "the tat section" and avoid it unless I need a birthday card or something.  But if it brings in non-gardening customers, and/or makes some cash so that a GC can stay open, I don't have a problem with it.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 516
    When I complained about my local Aldi not watering plants I was told it was a health and safety issue regarding the trailing hose pipe! Obviously  not concerned over the plants health.

My daughters friend works in Lidl, they are told not to water them so they can get rid of them quickly.