Forum home Problem solving

Climbing rose

I am training a rose up an archway but now the rose has got to the top what now? Do I prune it to stop it or leave it to carry on but then it will be going downwards..?? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,878
    Bumping up for Christine 🙂
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,057
    If you curve the rose canes over the top of the arch and on to the other side that will encourage more flowering lateral shoots to grow along them.
  • They are at the top already, should I let them carry on in which case they will end up growing downwards towards the other side? 🙄😁
  • oooftoooft Posts: 191
    I can't answer your question but I'd love to know the type of rose and when you planted it? I planted 3 climbers in October to grow over a fence and I put in a rose arch and Paul's Scarlet rose last week so very interested to hear how long it's taken yours to reach that height 
  • Unfortunately  I dont remember the name of the rose but this will be its second year, I'll  have a look around to see if I've still got the details.
    Thank you to all that are helping, much appreciated. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,339
    A photo is always helpful so we can see what you've got going on there... and always good to know the rose...
    ....but the usual way of planting an arch is to put the same rose on both sides, so they grow up together, and once they've both reached the top, you gently train the top part of each across towards each other, so they meet in the middle, at the arch apex.... and then you just maintain it that way ... 

...From what I gather you only have one side with a rose... if it is a climbing rose and not a rambler, then such roses will not grow downwards, they grow up or can be trained towards horizontal, but not down...if they are forced downward the ends can die off..
    ... so you just train the rose across the top using string to tie the top part to the apex.. they won't  be downward facing, but diagonally.. once they've reached the middle highest part, you won't be able to go much further with it, because the only way is downward,... and that's no good for climbing roses... 

Ramblers are fine, they cascade, so they could be trained down the the other side, at least partly, although it looks rather odd..

So what you need to do is just tie the canes to the apex at the highest point, and maintain it that way,.. shoots will go up from there, and you will have to prune and deadhead as you go along... it's really very easy and nothing to worry about... best of luck...
  • That's really helpful thank you