Forum home Problem solving

How to remove old rose bush?

I’ve recently moved into a new house and a lot of the planting is now over grown. I’ve cut back a rose/bramble to a stump but now I need to get the stump out! 
The roots are well established and going under the paving. Has anyone advice on removing it? Should I use a root killer? 
I have an Acer to in its place so I was reluctant to put chemicals in the ground. 

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    If you don't want to use chemicals then just dig down and around cutting the roots off as you go, get in and under the main stem with a bit of effort you will be able to get it out.
    Once you have the main root out you can dig over the area and remove any remaining bits.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • akeehanakeehan Posts: 9
    Thanks Hampshire_Hog, is it a problem if I miss some of the roots and they get left in the ground? There's one in particular, it's going under the paving.  :/ 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,955
    I dug one out like that, it didn’t grow again from the roots I had to leave in.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    you need a crown of a rose to grow back, if you leave some roots in they won't regrow
  • akeehanakeehan Posts: 9
    Oh great! Thanks Lyn and Treehungger80, that's good to know, I'll just hack away and get it out!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
    I dug out a rambling rose last year, definitely got the main rootball out and thought I got all the roots (dug a big deep hole, backfilled with new earth and compost to plant a replacement rose there). Yesterday I saw the old rambler had sent up a new shoot next to the new rose - could tell it was the old one because the foliage was very different. Traced and dug out the long root it was attached too. If its a wild rose type, maybe they do that??
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,537
    I eventually murdered the rambling rector by cutting it down to  a few inches above ground level and rubbing off the shoots whenever I saw them. The short stump meant that I knew where they were going to be. It took two or three years but no real effort. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I've done the same with old buddleias before B3 as you say can take a little time but does work.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog