Wind snapped my rhubarb stalks

Hi all,

A few months back I planted a rhuburb crown and it grew 3 stalks. However, the recent storm here in the UK snapped the stalks. Giving it was it's first year I had wanted to let these grow and not harvest it, but now all the stalks are gone.

Is the plant now ruined?

Thanks in advance

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,274
    I doubt it, given that it's had all winter to get established.  Keep it watered during dry spells and it will probably be Ok.  Any chance of contriving some sort of windbreak?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,683
    Good heavens, wind must have been strong! My rhubarb took time to get going. Meant to be tough, I think it will survive, it has roots. Don't let it dry out and I expect it will grow more stalks.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,347
    I bought a new rhubarb plant and covered it to force it. I think it was far too young a plant to try that with. How long would a new plant need to get growing with some decently strong stalks? 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,855
    you need to leave it at least a year, and even in the second year harvest lightly
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,073
    Don’t force until the third year.
    Don't let it dry out. 
    Never remove more than a third of the stems at any one time and don’t pick any after the end of June. 

Remember it comes from Siberia ... it’s probably tougher than you are 😉 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Same here mine only been in a month 
    It’ll grow some more stalks through the spring. Me need to panic yet 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It’ll grow some more stalks through the spring. Me need to panic yet 😊 
    Duh!  Typo ... should be “no need to panic”
    :blush: 

• Good heavens, wind must have been strong! My rhubarb took time to get going. Meant to be tough, I think it will survive, it has roots. Don't let it dry out and I expect it will grow more stalks.
    They were all pretty much hanging by a thread :(
  • It’ll grow some more stalks through the spring. Me need to panic yet 😊 
    Duh!  Typo ... should be “no need to panic”
    :blush: 
    haha, thanks !!