Hole in Soil Appearing

Hi, can someone please help. We have a border which recently keeps having a deep hole appear. It shows the roots of the flowers next to it. I fill it in but within a week or so it reappears in the same spot. Any idea what it could be please. Thank you. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,081
    Some sort of burrowing animal, too large for vole or mouse.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,870
    Don't like to say anything but it's sort of rat sized.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • KatstezKatstez Posts: 15
    The border has been there for ages and never had it before. There isn’t any signs of rats and nothing around to suggest that they would make a habitat. No food etc.  The hole may be deceiving in the photo. It is about 2.5-3 inch hole. Thankyou for replies. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,071
    Something that burrows.

So long s it’s not digging up your plants I’d just let it get on with life.

Got a cat? A cat will sit for hours at a hole like that just waiting to catch whoever is down there.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • chirpy999chirpy999 Posts: 13
    I had a similar thing happen, filled the hole but it soon reappeared. Rang the local council pest control dept he said it was a rat. He baited the hole and returned in about a week and told me he had got a rat and a baby . Lived here about 15 years at the time first time anything like it had happened. Not had a problem since.
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 701
    Are you in the country?  If so it's field mice. My friend has the identical situation 
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 701
    Hi, can someone please help. We have a border which recently keeps having a deep hole appear. It shows the roots of the flowers next to it. I fill it in but within a week or so it reappears in the same spot. Any idea what it could be please. Thank you. 
    Field mice my guess
  • KatstezKatstez Posts: 15
    I live in a town with no fields close. I thought the hole was too small for a rat but maybe people are right. Thank you 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,470
    Pretty sure that’s a rat hole ... the shape of the ‘spoil’ dug out of the hole is typical of rats. I would contact a professional to deal with it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,620
    Does the hole go anywhere,a tunnel perhaps or is it simply a hole?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings