Inspiration needed

Hello,

Hopefully attached are two photos of the same spot.

Im after some inspiration if at all possible. The area is just too bare and the conifers are looking extremely miserable and I’m a little stump knowing what to do.

any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,431
    Are the poorly conifers the ones in the middle? If so, I think they are probably dying and are best removed.  Then improve the soil because it would be depleted of nutrients and choose another plant you really like.
  • @Lizzie27 yes the gangly conifers. I also think I will remove them but was thinking about maybe a seating area? Maybe an apple tree?  :/
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,331
    I'm all for growing edibles, reducing our dependence on the supermarkets and our consumption of plastic packaging. You could grow one or more apples as fans or espaliers against that fence.  Do any of your near neighbours grow apples?  If not, you will need to choose a self-fertile variety, or plant two that can pollinate each other.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,431
    A seat would look very good in that spot or as Josusa says a fruiting tree would also be good.
  • @josusa47 @Lizzie27 how about a seat in the middle and two apple trees either side ? Or would the established conifers cause trouble for the Apple trees ?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,970
    Sounds OK Xander, especially if you improve the ground after removing the conifers by adding plenty of well-rotted manure and compost.  You could even grow 'patio' apples in large containers if you think the conifers may dry the soil out.  I think I'd go for a box construction type seat to hide the gap under the fence and also an arbour in that spot.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.