Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Peonies

ViolettiaViolettia Posts: 20
I would appreciate some advice please regarding, the correct way to plant a bare root peony.  I bought a couple of bare root peonies from my local GC recently.  Yesterday I planted them in a border, following the minimal instructions (you know the type, little pictures, rather than text)on the label they came with.

Please be kind, because you may think, this is a really stupid request for help.  This morning I was online looking at tutorials on a gardening website, one was a video of a gardener planting a bare rooted peony.  This is where my red face appears.  I think I may have planted them upside down.  There were a couple of woody finger like stumps (similar to ones you see on dahlia tubers) I planted the peony with these, woody stumps approx 2 inches long, uppermost.  Now the tutorial I watched looks as though I should have had these at the base. Did I really plant it upside down?  Are these stumps actually roots?

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Did you plant it with the dangly carrot things (roots) sticking down like this?

Image result for peony bare root
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039
    Could you show a picture of how it looks now it is in the ground, that will tell us whether they are shoots, or roots protruding.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 159
    If you only planted them yesterday you can easily replant them if they're not correct. 
  • Agreed with @Achtung making mistakes is the best way to learn. What variety are they? 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ViolettiaViolettia Posts: 20
    Sorry for not coming back sooner, life sometimes gets in the way, as I am sure you will understand.

The good news is, I took a look at the peonies, following your posts and I did not plant them upside down.  Phew!

Thanks all, once again, for sharing your time and knowledge, to help a newby.

Hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend :-)