Leveling out garden

Hello, I've recently just moved and the garden is all bumpy and uneven and would like some tips and advice on how to make my lawn nice and level thank you in advance. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,715
    Lawns are usually like that after the winter, so I should wait a bit until after you've mowed a few times.  If it's still uneven, for dips you need to cut a square of turf off, fill in with top soil so it's level, then replace the turf and tamp it down a little. For bumps, do the reverse, cut and lift the turf, dig out the bump, then replace the turf.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,602
    If this is a new build I would be concerned that the bumps and hollows are caused by the developer burying all sorts of junk and then putting down a thin layer of topsoil before laying the turf.
    If it's an established garden, minor dips can be corrected simply by filling the dip with sieved topsoil and sprinkling grass seed.  For high spots it's probably better to peel back the turf by cutting along 3 sided, and sliding a spade along an inch or so below the surface, remove the excess soil and put the turf back down.  That was it's easier to check the level than if a complete section of turf has been removed.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    A slight variation on KT53's turf peel.
    For high spots I cut a cross shape on top of the bump,  then slide a spade under to loosen and peel back the triangles. Just a personal preference. If there is a stone it feels easier to remove that way.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,602
    I did try that method Rubytoo but found it difficult to get the triangular section to stay back out of the way.