Forum home The potting shed

What has happened???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,499

OH gets a staff discount and the Notcutts staff get the same at his place image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Retailing wall, turf removal and dig a bed over. Oh, and a second arch coming into the garden with a small fence to keep OH new furface in the garden lol

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,161

Wintersong - I keep a garden diary (have always kept it a deep, dark secret, due to the unmerciless abuse I get from my family for it - but there you go - secret's out!).  We are also at least a month behind this year.

GW said that spring would come with a rush - but have just seen the week ahead forecast, and still doesn't look promising.  At this rate my magnolias will be flowering in June !!

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • When do they normally flower Chicky?

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

I don't keep a diary as such but am quite organised with my garden photos on the computer and like to see how things are different from 12 months ago.  The plants generally seem a few weeks behind but why are the brambles doing so well? image

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    I can hardly see the buds on my magnolia stellata Chicky.

Wow. Sam, you must be working very hard out there, don't be overdoing it.

Dove, that sounds like a useful arrangement.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

I know what you mean, chicky!  My 'Lizzie' early plum has had flower buds on for nearly 2 months and I don't think she can hold it in much longer, poor thing!image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397

Caz, brambles always do well. So do stinging nettles 

• Its been done a little at a time I have to admit. My ME wont allow me to go hammer and tongs anymore but I get there 

Caz...brambles are creeping in to my garden too image Damn things come from the woodland and spend all my time cutting and pulling them back. I need a weedkiller that will get rid of them. Any ideas?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,161

Sam - they are normally out in April (8th last year - according to the diary - as you can see, it gives the impression that I am a teeny bit obsessive!).  This year, like Penine Petal, there is no sign of flowers yet.  Don't know quite how long the flowers can survive in a dormant state.

But you can be sure that when they do finally come out, the first thing I will do is reach for the dreaded diary to note down the date image

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine