Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help with tree choice

hi there,

im looking for some suggestions on which trees to choose for some large containers at the front of my bungalow

some details:
- bungalow house, south facing
- half red brick on the left, half white render on the left
- 4 painted wooden planters will be placed at the front of the house
- each planter will be 600mm (2ft) wide x 600mm deep x 900mm (3ft) high

the wall area behind each planter in between the windows and doors is approx 600mm (2ft) or a little more. 

Im hoping to choose trees that won’t be much higher thank the roof gutters - the scale might look out of place. So I guess after they’re placed in the container they won’t want to be much more than 6ft high. I think the spread shouldn’t be too wide either so not to cover the windows and doors. 

At at the moment I’m envisaging himalayan silver birch of some kind. I really like these but wonder would they suit my application? Is it possible to get a dwarf specie or stung the growth?

i also think olive trees would be nice but they take years and years to get to any substantial size. 

I also wouldnt dismiss a nice pine tree. 

Any ideas would be great, I’m finding a bit tricky and am open to suggestions. 

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518
    Apple?
  • Apple?
    Yes potentially Andy. Maybe there is an apple available with an interesting bark too
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    If you have fruit trees, you need two of the same species so they pollinate each other.  Otherwise you won't get much fruit.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    A blue pine, twisted hazel, or patio fruit tree . All small enough for space and will be possible to keep to shape without much trouble.  The other is a rose, even a climber.
  • A blue pine, twisted hazel, or patio fruit tree . All small enough for space and will be possible to keep to shape without much trouble.  The other is a rose, even a climber.
    Thank you. I will look into these suggestions. 

If if I had some specie if silver birch, will it naturally stay small if it’s in a container?
    The only silver birch I've had any dealings with are the native ones, and they are rampant growers. Not sure if a birch would be able to be contained in such a small area.
    If it has to be a tree then my suggestion is to buy as big as you can afford of a slow growing variety then at least you will get a few years before having to remove it.