Paeonia 'Bowl of Beauty'

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,610
I think I read somewhere that paenoies don't like to be crowded, but the wallflowers 'Red Jep' have grown bigger and quicker around mine than I expected, should I take them out to give the paeony more space? (It's inside the black metal support).

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,002
    I think " crowded" is a relative term. If the paeonia is still growing nicely , I'd not panic. If it's being smothered and not growing, but back the wallflowers
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    There's no pic, Lizzie!
    Technically, no plant wants to be crowded, and as peonies like good light/sun, anything too close will block that and inhibit growth, especially if it's a 'solid' type of plant. 
    If you can move some, it would certainly prevent the new peony growth becoming leggy, and a bit weak, or spoiling it altogether by preventingproper, healthy growth.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    edited 30 March
    I have a few bowl of beauty growing in a very crammed border, they dont seem to mind at all, they and soon swamp the other plants in early summer then I cut back a few leaves after flowering to make room for the other plants to get going. If anything Id say they benefit from the support of the surrounding plants, I never bother giving them canes etc
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,610
    Oops, sorry folks, don't know what went wrong there.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,610
    Thanks guys. I'll leave it be for this year and see what happens.