Mature Pieris Pruning

Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 886
I’d like to lose a couple of limbs off a very mature Pieris we have as below (the uppermost, top left)

I’ve read that pruning should be done after the new growth colour has faded (‘in April’) but would I encounter any problems if I do it now? I don’t want to risk losing the plant so if it means waiting a few more weeks that is fine but if I can do it now even better. Thanks 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 886
    Bumpty bump bump  :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,137
    It’s a wonder you haven't had some one round to cut it for you, I had a plant that reached the cables and I had no choice but to let them cut it down.

I am a cut it when I feel like person,   I think the reason they so don’t cut it earlier is that you’ll lose those nice new shoots, if it were mine I would have those two top clumps off as soon as possible. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,176
    What a majestic shrub, clearly liking the protection of the shrub next to it. There is no issue in pruning them now. But, if your area is still pretty cold, then it's best to wait a little later, but I would do it now.
    Thanks folks.

It is tall Lyn but the camera angle is a bit deceiving as it is on a high bank and I’m stood on our driveway which drops down. When we moved in the Portuguese Laurel was crazy big, probably five feet higher than it is now and 10’ wider but I’ve got that under control to a manageable height although it grows like wildfire!
    With the Pieris I chopped out lots of dead limbs and it has a nice shape to it now but the two tallest limbs are quite scraggy where they were obscured by the laurel so I think they will go. It will then all be of a similar height. 

After a morning in the garden I have no room in the green bin despite jumping in it after every load(!) so the Pieris can wait a couple of weeks. 
  • That is beautiful shrub. What a shame to cut it back. Mine went all woody and leaves covered in that thick black sooty mould. We gave up , and dug it out and started with a new one . Expensive now ! 
    That is beautiful shrub. What a shame to cut it back. Mine went all woody and leaves covered in that thick black sooty mould. We gave up , and dug it out and started with a new one . Expensive now ! 
    It’s only the top left ‘cloud’ I’m considering cutting back. The side of that part of the shrub was buried in the previously out of control laurel and had dead growth which I cut back but it’s not a very balanced shape now and I think reducing that area would have a better aesthetic appearance overall. I’m leaving everything else untouched as I love the architectural feel of it and of course it has some age to it.