pond water

hi i have a small wildlife pond but after the winter my pond is all murky the water is grey colored i have took some of the water out and the mud from the bottom and refilled it back with rain water but it has made no difference it is still muddy colored you cant see anything in it its just to    mucky i need to get new pond plants but dont want to buy any till i have sorted out the water many thanks for any help   and advice 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,263
    Ours is a bit dark and slushy at the moment but past experience tells me that when things warm up and the oxygenating plants that have died back and are lurking at the bottom of the pond get growing again, and the pond snails start working again, the water quality will improve radically.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    Agree - pop some oxygenating plants in there and it'll clear up quickly as spring arrives :)
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,873
    grey water is de-oxygenated water,
    i'd be really tempted to empty is out, clear the majority of the gunk from the bottom and refill with rainwater, make sure you put the gunk to one side to allow anything living back into the pond, but if the waters grey they're wont be much
  • paul-15paul-15 Posts: 10
    Hi There 
    We have had a wildlife pond in our garden in full sun for a couple of years at first we had a problem with it as it would not clear and we thought something was wrong with it then i read something on a website.  the best advice was just leave it.  Let the wild life sort it out.  Its amazing how quick things start to come clear.  Early last year I decided to add another section to it I made homemade filter box (You Tube) and added a pump as it was 3 times the size  A friends of mine gave me 5 minnows and about 10 water snails. 
    I have not looked back.  The water is crystal clear I now have an army of snails keeping the algae at bay and the minnow population is huge.  Season two and the Frogs have been in and i now have a bucket of tadpoles.  The homemade filter box cost about £10 plus all the parts and filter media and the pump was a cheap £12 water feature pump 

we have now move a seat near it and now sit there in the morning sun watching the minnows and the birds taking a bath.  Keep it simple it works  
  • paul-15paul-15 Posts: 10
    home made filter box ... something along this lines works perfect for me 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45FP6ctLes