Greenhouse orientation

Hello
please can you give your suggestion for the best location for a 16 x 8 ft greenhouse? 7 foot fence on east and west side of garden. Trees on south.
Garden is approximately 37 metres long.
Would you put it along the east fence or the west fence?
 Thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,255
    In an ideal world, you'd have it running North - South so the East side gets full sun in the morning, when the sun is highest, it's shining down the whole lenght, then in the evening the West side gets full sun. 
    If possilbe, don't have it "next" to a fence as this will cast shade.
    In reality, the plot often dictates where it HAS to go. 
    Devon.
  • Good morning 
    This would be my first greenhouse so just looking for any tips. 
    I thought about having it 2-3 foot away from the fence , running north to South and on the West side. I was also thinking of laying a concrete pad a fraction over 16x8 ft.
    I would need to position the gh with consideration also to my family that also use the garden so it would have to be one side or the other .
    Thanks
    Good morning 
    This would be my first greenhouse so just looking for any tips. 
    I thought about having it 2-3 foot away from the fence , running north to South and on the West side. I was also thinking of laying a concrete pad a fraction over 16x8 ft.
    I would need to position the gh with consideration also to my family that also use the garden so it would have to be one side or the other .
    Thanks
    That's what I meant by saying the plot often dictates position, other factors have to be considered.
    Along the west fence is a good idea. Make sure it's not too close , not only re shade, but so you can get behind to clean glass, weed , maintain etc.
    Devon.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Hi @clearvision_ ; The old way was always N-S but I looked into this last year when purchasing a large poly tunnel 6mt x 3mt for my allotment and the consensus now seems to be it really does not matter as long as you avoid shade so I would suggest just watch for the sunniest spot you can find and go for it. Mine by the way ended up East West.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • clearvision_clearvision_ Posts: 7
    edited 25 March
    In the height of summer it would maybe benefit from partial shade in mid afternoon so the west side of the garden facing east it is.!
    it would still get some heat/light onto the roof in the afternoon also. I guess it should also be a good few metres away from the trees also? 
    This all probably seems like common sense but would rather not make mistakes. 
    I’m thinking about drainage now.
    should I possibly bed one or two of those channel drains into the concrete? Or will excess water evaporate/disperse without the need of drainage. What are people’s thoughts 
    Thank you
    I'd not worry about drainage.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,653
    My greenhouse is east-west and has no shade at all (but it does have blinds).
    On the south facing side I have staging to grow plants.
    On the north side I grow my toms and cucumbers. Generally this makes the tomato plants grow toward the south so most of the fruits and flowers grow toward the central path and are easier to get to.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I was hoping that would be the case 🙂 
    I’m guessing in summer when more water is being used I’d also be ventilating and in winter more frugal with water. 
    Thanks for the help and reassurance guys.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I agree with Hosta no drainage any dampness will help cool the green house and raise the humidity slightly in summer but keep well ventilated to avoid any problems. Depending what your growing people often deliberately water the floor of a green house on hot days.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Please don't "overcomplicate" your thinking. 
    Get the basics right and it'll be fine. 
    No need to analyse the minutiae of details.
    Devon.