starting Dahlia tubers

I recently bought some new dahlia tubers which I have placed on compost in trays placed on a high shelf in my potting shed which has a polycarbonate roof, so in good light. I mist spray every couple of days. Potting shed is unheated.
After about 2 weeks they are still showing no sign of shooting.
Am I being impatient, or should I do something different?
appreciate any comments.
Owd    

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,137
    Maybe not warm enough, have you got some windowsill space.   Did they have shoots on them when you planted them?   I always wait until they shoot before potting them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,987
    Agree with Lyn, probably too cold.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 329
    How long do they normally take to shoot? I have mine on windowsill for a week and no signs of shoots yet. I only partially buried on tray of compost because was hoping to take cuttings. Hopefully will see some life soon
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,172
    I planted my new dahlia tubers directly into their pots about a month ago, started watering them a couple of weeks ago and they are just beginning to show growth.  How tall do they have to be before I nip the tops of the dahlia shoots to help bush them out?
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 709
     Here’s Sarah Raven’s advice on growing dahlia tubers

https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/how_to_plant_and_grow_dahlia_tubers.htm
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,172
    That is a really helpful link, thanks Picidae.  I may have planted some of my tubers too deep.  I will look in another week if they haven't surfaced.  I will nip out one or two of the more advanced tubers tomorrow.
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 77
    Thanks all.
    Good link Picidae. 
    Basically then, they will develop shoots once the temperature rises sufficiently?
    @ Lyn. My idea was exactly to start them and pot up when they develop shoots. They had no shoots at purchase, straight out of the bag onto a tray of compost.
    So I guess i'll carry on as I am for now and wait for them to get warm and cosy, Mrs Potter would never tolerate me covering her windowsills with pots & trays of soil...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,302
    I never "start mine off". They grow when they're ready and it's first come first served then when they get planted. 
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,137
    Same here, pot up after they shoot. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,267
    I potted up a load of dry dahlia tubers 12 days ago in 3L pots, following Sarah Raven’s instructions, two have shooted so far. She said to water well and keep the compost moist, but I’m slightly confused about the watering, for the ones that have shooted do I increase the watering a bit or just keep them just moist? I am not sure if I’m giving any of them enough water but don’t want them to rot either!