Slowworms are back!

Last year I reported, with great sadness, that the badgers had eaten my slowworms from the compost heap, having dragged back the carpet that covered it. I am delighted to report that yesterday I pulled back the carpet (on a new part of the heap this year) and there are slowworms! I think I will now put a few bricks at the edges of the carpet (checking to avoid crushing the SWs)  to deter casual intruders.

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 764
    Brilliant! Would love to have them in my garden!
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Me too - had them in our previous garden and I was always pleased to see them when they reappeared in the spring.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 653
    A few years back I acquired a dozen or more slowworms, from someone moving house, put them in the compost heap and never saw them again, don't know what happened to them, sad.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    We have lots of slow worms at the allotment I'm particularly lucky as mine is at one end and have a piece of rough ground to one side with bramble long grass and stinging nettles and the live in there.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog