Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What plants are these? Anyone knows the names?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039
    1. Looks like a Mahonia, ? which one.
    2. Is a Berberis, again not sure which species.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I agree with Punkdoc, also about not knowing the names, although I have the Mahonia.
    my berberis pink. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,630
    edited March 2019
    I thought Mahonia for the first one too.

The second is a Berberis maybe darwinii.

There are several cultivars so you need to measure up some leaf sizes and check them out online, or post more flower, leaf and plant sizes to give some scale. :)

Edit: I have moved but not changed this bit, as a load of rubbish.
    "But.
    It might also be worth checking Berberis aquifolia they have similar leaves and flower clusters".
    There is a site out there with incorrect/confusing? information calling what I also thought at Mahonia a Berberis.
    https://plantright.org/better-plants/berberis-aquifolium/
    Apologies.
  • I think Mahonia too
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Definately Berb. Darwinii. I have the same in my garden. 
  • thanks everyone! i'd love to have both in my garden.. when's the right time of the year to plant them? also are they easy to find in plant shops? i'm a total gardener novice
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884
    Both should be available in any good Garden Centre and now is a good time for planting them.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4 said:
    Both should be available in any good Garden Centre and now is a good time for planting them.
    Do I buy them as already grown trees and just plant them?
    and how long do they bloom for?
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884
    If you buy them as smallish shrubs in pots then it is easy to just transplant them straight into the garden. Mahonias flower in the Winter and berberis flower in Spring but there are several different types of both shrubs so flowering times may be slightly different.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable