How to start a new rhubarb bed

• Hello,
    Sorry, I’m new to the party! I planted rhubarb a couple of weeks ago in my sheltered garden, but storm Freya has kicked in early and broken one of my two stalks  :'( as it’s such a new plant, will it be alright? I know you’re not supposed to harvest them in the first year as they won’t establish, so I’m worried that my poor little ruby is done with before she even really started! 
    Many thanks in advance!
    Tiffany
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,091
    I wouldn’t stress about her ... she should grow a good few more stalks before the growing season is over and they will photosynthesise and feed the crown .., that’s why you don’t harvest in the first year. Rhubarb is pretty tough ... her ancestors in Siberia had to cope with worse storms than Freya 😉. But make sure your hatches are battened down so you’re safe. 👷🏼‍♀️
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,918
    I'd also pull the remaining part of the broken leaf stalk if you haven't already to prevent any rot from starting.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Good point Bob 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,157
    Adding onto this topic.  I planted two varieties of Rhubarb a couple of years ago and haven't harvested any stalks yet, but hope to this year.  One plant is Victoria which is doing well with new leaves showing through, the other is Champagne which has barely any growth visible although I think it is still alive.  My question is do different varieties of Rhubarb produce stalks at different times of the year?
    edited 3 March
    I think some are earlier than others ... don’t want to make you jealous but we’ve got our first rhubarb crumble of the season in the oven as I write ... a traditional topping with the addition oats, flaked almonds and Demerara sugar 👩‍🍳

The variety is Timperly Early and hasn’t been forced. 

How can we not be jealous Dovefromabove - that topping sounds delicious.  In fact I don't like Rhubarb at all, even though my mother used to make the most delicious pies (so I was told by my siblings).  I am growing my rhubarb for our daughter - she is the only one that enjoyed eating it when mum (her Granny) made it for my family.
    I still am wondering if the different varieties mature at various times of the year.
  • Thanks for the reassurance!  :) I removed the damaged stalk and dipped it in sugar and ate it. Ruby’s limbs taste goooood!  :p hopefully we will see some more before too long!
    .... I still am wondering if the different varieties mature at various times of the year.
    Sorry, Timperly Early is usually one of the earliest, there are others which are a bit later ... I’ve found this which should help

http://www.yorkshirerhubarb.co.uk/ruhbarb_Varities.htm

That is a really helpful link Dove - I have found Victoria, and that information tallies with the advancement of my crown and on reading about Champagne I have found that forcing it is the way to go, so I am looking for a large container to cover over the crown.