Tree Planting in New Garden

Hello,

We have a new garden with a new build home. We would like to plant some trees along a back fence. (I can upload a photograph if anyone is interested).

We are looking at these two trees presently. We will probably stick with the Himalayan Birch but the Holm Oak will probably get too big for our garden.

I have two questions. 1. Could anyone suggest a similar shaped evergreen which doesn't get to the height of 20 m. 2. What spacing should I leave between these trees when planting?

1. Holm Oak (Quercus Ilex ). evergreen. Final height approx 20m. Planting just one
2. Himalayan Birch (Betula Utilis Jacquemontil). Planting height approx 7 feet. deciduous. Planting 3 of these. 

Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,227
    Hi  :)

Yes ... photos would be good ... also a bit more information ... how big is the garden ... how far from any buildings is the planting site ... how far from any pipes or drains is the planting site ... what is the soil type and is it free draining/moisture retentive or ...?
    Whereabouts (approx) are you situated and is the site exposed or sheltered?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,550
    Don’t forget, when you choose your trees, there could be as much below ground as above.  As dove says, make sure those trees are a long way from your house and services. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• dgandolfodgandolfo Posts: 12
    edited 23 February
    Hello,

Please see attached diagram showing the dimensions of the garden. We plan to plant along the fence which is 14.35 metres long. We live in Plot 1. The soil is of light clay type. The site is sheltered.

We live near Oxford and the garden has a south facing aspect.

A holm oak is a marvellous tree but it forms a huge dome of dark evergreen leaves which will fill your entire garden ... far too big for that space and will put your house and garden in shade
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/common-non-native-trees/holm-oak/

I would suggest a multi-stemmed Amelanchier... blossom and fruits for wildlife, lovely autumn colour and airy in growth so will provide screening without shading or dominating the garden. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi, Thanks for the advice on the Amelanchier. Do you have any advice on an evergreen tree that might fit in the space.

Thanks.
    Ilex aquifolium ‘argentea marginata’

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/ilex-aquifolium-argentea-marginata/classid.4010/

is an elegant ‘statement’ tree ... and with the added bonuses of being good for wildlife as well as providing beautiful foliage for Christmas decoration ...but if there isn’t a male holly in the vicinity you will need to plant a male variety to pollinate your tree. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,224
    Take a look at Osmanthus Heterophyllus and Fragrans. They may need a bit of initial pruning in the early years to shape the base and encourage a shape but I think more in keeping with the size of your garden. Not really fast growing, and also has a variegated version.

Another one of the Osmanthus Yunnanensis, a much more looser shaped shrub/tree with long glossy wavy edge leaves. It grows more taller and wider but unlikely to reach more than 10 meters in this country. 
  • Hello,

I think we are deciding on Betula Utilis Jacquimontil (Himalayan Birch). It is a beautiful tree with white peeling bark. It grows quite tall up to 15 to 20m.

https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-123515.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPn804DU4AIVAZztCh0hGgXQEAQYASABEgKgN_D_BwE

My questions are. If we have three of these how far apart should we plant them and how far away from the fence?

Thanks,

• WaysideWayside Posts: 722
    edited 28 February
    I love the suggestion of a holly, but how about an olive tree?
    In your diagram what is the blue surround - it's not the Thames is it?  Or rather does it have to be a moisture lover?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Check the final width of the tree and ideally plant half that distance away from the fence so it doesn't grow to overhang the neighbours' gardens (particularly important near the buildings) and at least the same distance apart unless you want the canopies to grow into each other.