How to stop Blue Tit nesting

Can anyone suggest anything that will stop a Blue Tit trying to build a nest above our patio doors. The sad thing is this sweet little bird has been trying desperately to build a nest above our patio doors all afternoon. There isn’t anywhere to build a nest but this little fella has been frantically trying and trying to get through the window. Is there any harmless spray they don’t like that will stop them? I’m half expecting to find it dead on the patio exhausted from it’s efforts!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942
    Put up a nesting box to help it?  Park a cat in front of the window to discourage it?  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 130
    It doesn't sound like a classic nesting attempt. I'd say there are some type of insects/food up there.
    Luv Dave
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942
    That's a thought.  Ours peck window frames at the wall edge to get out insects.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,598
    Do birds eat ladybirds - we find lots hibernating in the ridges round our windows and patio doors.  If the bluetit though is trying to fly through or at the glass, he can either see his reflection or thinks its competition from another bird. You could try just sellotaping a sheet of dark paper to the inside glass high up temporarily to see if that stops him. Do let us know what happens please.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,317
    My my guess is that the blue tit is after the tiny fine spiders webs you see around the edges of windows as they use these in the construction of their nests.

In the mornings each early spring we drink our coffees sitting in bed watching bluetits collecting them from around the windows of the house opposite. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,043
    Great Tits are constantly harvesting around our window frames, tap, tap, tap, I hope they find what they're looking for
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    My point is aggressive behaviour. Do you think it could be fighting his reflection ? Plenty footage of territorial behaviour like this on the net. Also if it was nesting behaviour would it be unreasonable to expect to see male and female at the same time in the area
  • Barn FieldBarn Field Posts: 46
    Bluetit update! - The bluetit continues doing what it’s doing round the window and I have put a nesting box in a Wisteria where they use to nest last year and there is the remains of a little nest. This morning there is now a pair of Bluetits which have shown a lot of interest in the box. I’ve seen both look in through the hole and one actually went inside! Plus there is plenty of bird seed on the bird table. Since then the visits to the window haven’t been as frantic as they were yesterday. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,885
    Fingers crossed they use the box !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,685
    Result!  
    Hope they set up home in the new box.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....