Wanted- lonely male frogs seek female frogs.

yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 351
My pond is full of frogs, but no sign of any mating. Usually the water is 'boiling' with frog activity when they all get together, so I can only presume they are all male. They keep croaking and popping their heads up but no newcomers have arrived wanting to mate. Has anyone else experienced this?
A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622
    I think they are a bit early for  Yorkshire. The ladies are taking their time.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 351
    Previous years the frogs have been mating from early February. I don't think being in Yorkshire is the problem.  
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622
    I'm in South Notts, and no sign of any frogs yet in the pond. We have had a very mild winter here.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433
    I think they are a bit early for  Yorkshire. The ladies are taking their time.
    Lol...not my experience of the ladies in Yorkshire.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,728
    T. H. H.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    All of a sudden frogspawn is in the pond, but there has been no sign of daytime mating. my frogs must be more amorous during the night!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,301
    edited 28 February
    They probably knew you were watching ☺️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's funny you should say that Dovefromabove. I have been gardening for 4 hours today and the frogs seem to have watched my every move. Each time I have looked at the pond there have been about 30 pairs of eyes staring in my direction!  Oh and lots more frogspawn has appeared.
    Mystery of the sudden appearance of frog spawn among what  I presumed was a pond full of males may be solved.
    Before the recent arrival of frogspawn appeared I contacted Naturewatch to ask their opinion of  lack of female frogs being a possible problem. They replied that the frogs may be juveniles and too immature to mate. Then the frogspawn arrived and I thought they must have mated.
    However, yesterday and today I have witnessed much bigger coupled frogs lolloping down our path and into the pond to lay more spawn before getting out and lolloping back to their hidey-hole.I presume this is what has happened before as the smaller frogs are still not showing any signs of mating.
  • SueAtooSueAtoo Posts: 26
    I want frogs and toads but I have newts - and they love spawn!