Forum home Wildlife gardening

Spring ?

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,800
Monday..............2 wasps and a bumble bee
Tuesday..............frogs in pond
Thursday............1 bumble bee

Is this a false Spring or can I get excited ?
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• false spring, even the weather forecasters are calling it 'highly unusual'
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,983
    edited February 2019
    Gosh, don’t trust it yet. 
    The garden centres will be rubbing their hands together, how many will pop out and buy all their Spring bedding this weekend, only to buy them all again in April. 
    We will have lots of queries on here about leggy weak seedlings, starting seeds now is so tempting. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I move anything whenever I feel it’s in the  wrong place,  whatever time of the year.  As long as you take a nice rootball and prepare the hole first, it won’t know it’s been moved. Water in well if your soils dry. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,898
    Spring, NewBoy?
    In a word- no.  ;)

Lyn's right - we'll have all the usual queries about leggy seedlings soon  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,656
    Yes, I'm trying to restrict myself to tidying up and cutting back things that are bone-hardy.  It's so tempting to cut off the old growth on the salvias, penstemons, fuchsias etc but I know they're better left alone for at least another month or so. I have some bulbs in pots to plant out though - daffs, crocus, snowflakes and dwarf iris - which should satisfy the instinct to pretty things up out there.
  • I absolutely think it is spring. The days are getting longer, the sun is shining. Daffodils and crocuses are everywhere! The weather forecast is to stay mild for at least 10 days. I wouldn’t plant out any tender plants just yet, but I started going to the garden centre every now and then looking for interesting plants and ideas. It is spring, definitely! :)
    Surrey
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Hedgehog left a small message a few nights back. Not seen them again since.
    I read it as, not yet NewBoy2 :D
    Fairygirl said:

Lyn's right - we'll have all the usual queries about leggy seedlings soon  :D
    I think there has been at least one already this year?

I am trying hard not to tidy too much, and the blow away is chock a block with things I do not want to risk outside yet.
    The worst hold back for me is G2 and 3 clematis with buds on.
    I keep chanting not 'til March over and over.

I have braved it and potted on for the second time, my fuchsia cuttings, now in 4” pots and left them out in the GH. Hope for the best, expect the worst😀

• It is exciting that we've been getting some nice weather already. I have been out and pulled some weeds but other than that trying to leave things alone. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,800

Rubytoo

What does "blow away " mean please
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.