Mystery plant

Just returned from Arran and this plant was growing in Brodick Castle gardens - it has small Bergenia type leaves so I thought it was a type of this plant  but cannot find this type of flower under bergenias - any ideas?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    Was it a shrub? or low growing? any more clues?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Beryl32Beryl32 Posts: 15
    It was low growing and I assumed it was a bergenia but the flowers were closer to the leaves than my bergenia I have in the garden. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,986
    it's very hard to see the shape and scale of this
    This was this was growing in a large patch under some trees. Very low growing - leaves like a Bergenia but flowers also low resting on the leaves - my Bergenias have  stalk you can see with clusters of single flowers
    Here is another photo - you can see the leaf at the bottom which is like a Bergnia
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,786
    Why not send your photo to the castle gardens - there must be an info address - and ask them?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thankyou thankyou - I never thought of that - will do
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,786
    Don't forget to tell us the answer!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,350
    edited 21 February

I think it might be Chrysosplenium macrophyllum https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/174786/Chrysosplenium-macrophyllum/Details

Not a plant I've come across before, but I thought the flowers looked a bit saxifrage-like (reminded me of London Pride) and a search on the RHS site found this.

PS it's very pretty and apparently will grow in a sandy soil and shade - maybe I'll see if I can track one down.

Thankyou Jenny - I think you have found it. It was really pretty and growing in the shade. I will try to buy one from somewhere as I have the perfect spot.