New Build Front Garden

2»

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,604
    Where's the damp proof course on your house? That soil level looks awfully high. 1350mm high window with an 850mm cill by the looks of it so the DPC should be 11 brick courses below the base of the window which means the soil is straddling it at the moment. The soil level should be kept at least 150mm (2 brick courses) below the DPC line to prevent damp problems.
  • simbrindsimbrind Posts: 16
    Ah yes I see now. Unfortunately I don't have the space in the back garden (new builds!!!!).

Are they worth potting?

Ok so back to the drawing board, any other recommendations to go with the photonias and hebes?

Thanks all in advance for your help.
    wild edges said:ī
    Where's the damp proof course on your house? That soil level looks awfully high. 1350mm high window with an 850mm cill by the looks of it so the DPC should be 11 brick courses below the base of the window which means the soil is straddling it at the moment. The soil level should be kept at least 150mm (2 brick courses) below the DPC line to prevent damp problems.
    Goodness me, thanks for pointing that out. I added about 7 x 50L bags of manure to what was already there.  

Is the DPC line where the normal bricks change to engineering bricks (if that's the right terminology?). This is my first house, so it's all new to me.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited 19 February
    I think if you are happy to keep them and try them in pots for a while until they get too big or annoying. It is always easier to throw and be hard once they become a chore, and you won't have to wrestle them out of the ground . :D
    At least you keep your cuttings and new plants for a while. It would be a shame to throw them away as such when you have spent time and money on them.

Don't tell, but I will have to wrestle a getting too big red one out of our front garden later this year......shhh.

Smaller grasses? Sorry they are not flowers.
    Some have good leaf colour even in winter. I like the little carex like buchananii. Straight reddish stems though no showy "flowers" but they stay looking nice in winter with faded browny bronzy stems. Make neat upright clumps that do not flop or spread too far.
    And the tips curl a tiny bit, which give it a little interest too. There are other types too some are more mound forming . The above are around two feet tall.
    There are many many other grasses you could look at, that will stay looking nice but low maintenance. And will fit in with your hebes and lavenders.

Heucheras might be good , lots of leaf forms and some delicate flowers the bees do like.
    And as raisin girl said it is your garden you can grow whatever style you would like :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,604
    simbrind said:
    Goodness me, thanks for pointing that out. I added about 7 x 50L bags of manure to what was already there.  

Is the DPC line where the normal bricks change to engineering bricks (if that's the right terminology?). This is my first house, so it's all new to me.
    The DPC usually matches the internal floor level but the change in brick is probably where it will be. If the soil level needs to be that high for planting then you could look at using a drainage channel or a strip of gravel next to the wall to make sure the water runs away from that area quickly. Just be careful that both would be prone to clogging up with leaves or soil after a while and would need to be maintained.
    edited 19 February
    simbrind said:

The DPC usually matches the internal floor level but the change in brick is probably where it will be. If the soil level needs to be that high for planting then you could look at using a drainage channel or a strip of gravel next to the wall to make sure the water runs away from that area quickly. Just be careful that both would be prone to clogging up with leaves or soil after a while and would need to be maintained.
    I've removed soil to expose two rows of the change in brick now (the brick change is the internal floor level) it now matches the level on the other side of the path (untouched by me so it's how the developer left it). Thanks so much for pointing that out.

It has left me with quite a lot of soil now. Apart from a spades width I have dug out around the brickwork, the level is the same as the internal floor level. Will this be a problem in terms of run off do you think?