Forum home The potting shed

Hellebore, s

Just starting growing Helebores this year and have a question. 4 of them are spreading their stems from the base. They are almost to the point of laying flat. Is this normal

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,375
    Hi  :)
    Can we see a photo please?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sorry yes just taken some  As you can see all healthy stems but laying flat  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,101
    edited February 2019
    They're  perfect.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi  Lyn thank you , will those stems just die off as the new growth comes through or is that the way these particular two spread. Other Hebores I have are all more upright. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,101
    They will Eddie, you’ve got lots of lovely strong new growth coming up there, no need to worry at all. A nice little collection. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Excellent Lyn, really appreciate your help  
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,370
    There are a couple of old leaves that are lying flat on the floor. I would cut those off. It makes it easier to see the flowers.  Careful not to cut off any new shoots.
  • Thank you, I'll trim those off. I read in one of Graham Rice, s books to keep up on that. 
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 184
    edited February 2019
    Mine had flat-lying leaves and I cut them off. The flowers came out with pride! 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Thanks LToby I'll do that.