First sitings

I saw our first Peacock and Brimstone butterflies yesterday, also a Hummingbird hawk moth which is very unusual so early in the year. Spring is on its way!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,743
    Yes, something that looked like a comma or a painted lady shot past me yesterday, on a mission. Too quick to say exactly what it was but it was either very hungry or looking for lurve.

The blue tits are starting to build a nest in the eaves of the house. I can hear them skittering about above the bedroom ceiling.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Wow lucky you I would love to see any of those. floralies do you think the Hummer might have hibernated like the Peacocks do?

We have had bumble bees but they seem to have been around all winter, its been mild here so far (South, so it would be :D ).   But no butterflies yet.

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 452
    As far as I know the @Rubytoo they hibernate as adult moths during the winter.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited 17 February
    Thanks I doubt we will see any but nice to know to watch out for.

I try to remember to watch our garage it has windows and door with glass. Sometimes we get a Peacock that needs letting out, and have had either a Red Admiral or Painted lady, I never remember which is which, that needed letting out last year.

The scariest one was one year I could hear a rustling in a box, thought oh heck a mouse, but it was a butterfly. :)

@pansyface they are quick aren't they, unless sat still long enough to id, I mostly see a red and browny blur.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,156
    The warm weather yesterday brought out a red admiral, ladybirds and a bee on the allotment. I've daffs in flower which seems to be a draw for them. There's also been a friendly robin, poking about after I've done some digging.

Different story today, it was quite chilly.     
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,371
    A big fluffy bumblebee on the crocuses today, and lots of ladybirds out sunbathing.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 646
    Pair of Red Admirals in the garden the other day, flew off before I had chance to take a snap.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    Here the chaffinches have started their mating calls, the great spotted woodpeckers are drumming away, heard a green woodpecker cackling today, tits, wrens, robins, cirl buntings, thrushes, blackbirds all chittering and singing away. Bees are busy, but not spotted a butterfly yet...
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,743
    This poor old hornet nearly ended up roasted on the log burner.

I think he must have been asleep in the log store. Got a bit sooty but otherwise OK. He flew off to do hornetty things elsewhere.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.