Forum home Tools and techniques

Monty Don’s Japanese Gardens – BBC2 Fri, February 15 21:00

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,470
    Why do I find Monty Don so soporific? It's the same with Gardeners World. 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,102
    Well I enjoyed it.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,889
    edited February 2019
    Hostafan1 said:
    I gave up half way through and went to bed.
    Get thee to the Curmudgeon's Corner. I enjoyed it. It's not a 'how to do it' gardening programme, true, but at least it's not Masterchef  :)
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,887
    floralies said:
    Why do I find Monty Don so soporific? It's the same with Gardeners World. 
    I'm with you, which maybe explains me heading to bed at 9.30, but I'm glad others enjoyed it . I'll give part 2 a bash next time.
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,153
    I find Monty soporific too. But I do watch GW. Last night we decided to stick with Granchester, which we both enjoy.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I enjoyed the gardens but I don't think Monty was very helpful. I have seen a much better description of Ikebana on TV previously, he didn't explain it at all.

And I don't understand why men were pulling all the leaves off a conifer tree!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,887

And I don't understand why men were pulling all the leaves off a conifer tree!
    60 of them!!!! 
    Am I the only person who hated all those posts holding up the branches?
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,889
    Hostafan1 said:
    Am I the only person who hated all those posts holding up the branches?
    No I thought it looked very odd. But still I'm curious about a style of gardening so completely different to what we are used to. The 'Japanese' gardens in the UK are quite clearly an adaptation and one we find more sympathetic to our tastes. But I am very happy to watch a tour around the real ones, even if I wouldn't actually want one at home. I thought the garden on the roof of the train station looked like a municipal 'square' gone wrong. I don't admire it, but I am quite content to hear people discuss it who do like it. It's new information, which is never a bad thing. And no one got voted off at the end.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,309
    I really enjoyed it, mainly as the scenes were beautiful and it was a relaxing programme. I am a massive Cherry Blossom fan so I can see why they celebrate it. The Ikebana wasn’t what I thought - I would have liked more on that. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,653
    Fell asleep half way through.  Monty has that effect on me at the best of times.

Japanese gardens are all too "control freakery" for me.  Fabulous plants like cherries, Japanese maples but too messed up for me.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw