Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing in a greenhouse

I have four small greenhouses. as a I've been told from the beginning you cannot grow cucs, melons,peppers,   tomatoes, aubergine in the same green house because they need different  growing conditions.I grew melons aubergine  and cucs  in one greenhouse
Peppers ,   chilli . Tomato s   In another. 

The other two I used for germination of my seeds  as I have electric propagators.the other is for the next steps of pricking out and the potting on .these  also  for starting off veg like sweetie and peas .
All greenhouses get used and are full to the top.

What I am wanting to know please  is ........   Do other members grow all these plants with the different requirements in the one green house.
I am uncertain what to do. Is it best to continue as I am or could it be worked out of I bought one larger greenhouse , could I grow as I am now? Or would i be limited.??????

• I only have one greenhouse so everything goes in. Last year had very good crops of toms, cucumbers. Other people have put these with peppers( seen pictures in other threads) This year I plan to add aubergine in too, after a change around in layout in the green house as I have a little more room. The only thing not to do well was the courgettes, but they tend to take up too much room so are going outside if I grow them this year. I also have growing on bedding at one point and herbs, so alot in a small space (10×12)
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527
    Tell that to my Cumcumbers and tomatoes going next to each other in the greenhouse. Think its more to do with cucumber likely more heat and humidity than tomatoes 
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    I had two greenhouses up this year and in one of them I had tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and melons. 50kg of toms, 60kg of cucumbers, more than enough chili peppers for us (I didn't weigh them) two small melons and a watermelon from that greenhouse, the other one had tomatoes and courgette in, they were early ones that just stayed put as I didn't need the space. I grow on a small commercial scale and my parents in law grow on a slightly larger scale (their greenhouse is 300m2) and they still have cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and melon in the same house. Perhaps it isn't ideal but it certainly works.
  • I used to have one greenhouse in which I grew everything and most things did OK except for the aubergines which were never successful. Then I added a second greenhouse and now divide them the same way as you do @granma. The aubergines in particular do a lot better but that may be just because they get more space.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    Apart from stuff thst gets planted straight in to the ground, I grow toms, cougettes, peppers, cucumbers, aubergines and everything else all together in a single poly tunnel, but only to a size big enough to plant out, so I can’t comment on long-term effects...

I open the windows and water from the base in the mornings to reduce the build-up of humidity over the day. The stuff that likes a bit more humidity gets positioned out of direct sunlight and occasionally gets a morning misting with a water spray, whereas the toms and peppers are at the front in the sunniest position.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933
    Thank you everyone for adding to my thread ,you have all been very encouraging and I've taken note of what you have all said.
    Up to date  i have practically moved into the new greenhouse . I'm  growing tomatoes ,melon ,cucs,capsicum,aubergines,
     They are all doing very well .the melons I'm going to grow in a frame outside amongst the squash.
     Thanks ,
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I have 3 glass gh’s and umpteen plastic ones, nothing is sorted out, they’ve all got much the same in them,  I do stick to one for potting up and on as I use a big grow bag tray and some of the pots are i. There.
    i have tomatoes, loofahs, fig tree and lettuce in one at the moment , strawberries, tomatoes and the remains of the annuals to be planted out. 
    So, basically anything anywhere. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.