Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

Did get to allotment yesterday and will get back there later, weather permitting, it's dry here just a little blustery with some luck this wind will dry the soil a little.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog

• Went bramble pruning yesterday at allotment one knuckle on hand really sore today, still more brambles to cut but getting thinner now much better, what a wet and windy day today
    Hampshire Gardener
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,569
    Short answer, no ! Very wet and windy. Something tells me the rest of the miscanthus have had it.
  • Managed an hour or so outside this morning before the heavy showers sent us rushing indoors.  We cleared a huge amount of brambles, they were the first thing visitors see when they arrive here and in the summer they hung over the wall facing the road.  It had to be done, they weren't a pretty site.  However the area now looks bare.  I hope we didn't disturb any over wintering insects, but at least there were no birds nesting or hedgehogs come to that.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    To windy to be outside today , went with o/h to s/m 
    Hopefully resume tree cutting on Sunday , subject to weather 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,872
    Sadly far to wet and windy. Don't think the weekend is going to be much better either.
  • Rotten weather here in Sussex.  Tomorrow the forecast looked good for the daytime.

I need to turn one of my compost heaps but some kind of creature is burrowing tunnels in there and I wonder if it’s doing the job for me.

Other than that I think I need to just let things grow and resist the urge to tinker.

I might build a hedgehog house and a bird table.

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364
    For the first time in weeks I did some clearing away of weeds. Quite a lot of other plants are now sticking their heads above the weeds.
    Things are coming on. Lots of rain for the next few days.  I am waiting for the garden waste bin to come on Tuesday for the first time after Christmas.  I hope the bin wil take all my stuff without the breaking my wheelie bin.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 1,089
    edited February 2019
    Spoke to soon yesterday by 10.00am it was chucking it down so nothing done in the garden, after a windy night the sun is out and forecast is OK so will try and do a little today.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    I managed a good hour outside digging up my iris and untangling couch grass from its roots. Looks SOO much better. Then I found vine weevils in my pots. Sigh.
  • Pressure washing today. Son-in-law- in-waiting has cleaned pavement, door steps and OH about to take over to clean 2 patios and inside of greenhouse which has a paving slab floor.