Apologies....Not a GW Question

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,626
    If I'm staying with anyone (vanishingly rare event), or even just going for dinner (not much more frequent), I'll always ask if there's anything I can bring to help. Most people say something like 'bring a bottle of whatever you prefer to drink' or 'no, we've got everything sorted, thanks'. But I do have a friend who said 'could you bring pillows, we're a bit short of decent ones?' which was fine. I feel very strange going to someone's house empty handed. Even if they say 'no, we've got everything' I'll take flowers from the garden or something. I don't have family I can visit though. It might be different if I had a sibling and we regularly stayed at each other's houses - I think then it would simply be a reciprocal type thing.
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,727
    That’s how it seems nowadays Raisingirl,  people don’t like anyone doing anything for them anymore.  Always need to pay back in some way.    Most people love to do something for nothing. 
    I get more pleasure giving than receiving.  Probably because of my upbringing. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,632
    Lyn said:
    ... I get more pleasure giving than receiving.  Probably because of my upbringing. 
    Might be just because you’re a lovely person 😘 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you Dove, very nice of you to say. I do try my best.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    Thanks All

Brother turned up and he said he offered to bring a sleeping bag so I did not need to wash the sheets

Well I had washed them before he turned up and after

"All the worlds a little strange except me and thee and even thee is a little odd" !! :#
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    Too true NewBoy 😀. I think that may be an old Deb’n saying, certainly heard it in the wilds down here.

Pa used to say it too and he was from Cambridgeshire-ish ... but as he’d been all over the place in WW2 he could’ve heard it almost anywhere ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

This might be the answer @Lyn https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071228150144AAu62TO

but who’s to say where he heard it ... 😉 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    A chap who used to live near me in Brizzle that i was emailing re fruit trees said his Mum used to say if something was lost in the house that it was probably " Up stairs in Grannys room behind the wallpaper !! "
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    edited 11 February
    And of course Mum is always right😀

we always say ‘you’ll find it in the last place you’ll look’