Reasons to be cheerful 2019 - the antidote to Curmudgeons' Corner

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,346
edited 6 February in The potting shed

1.  My 4 x Chaenomeles x superba "Crimson and Gold" and my 4 x Azalea luteum arrived yesterday, bigger than I had envisaged, well packaged and looking almost indecently healthy.  They are destined to become hedges at the pavement edge of my front garden.

2. Mother is much better today after spending yesterday in bed with the galloping gut-rot.

3. My family are winning awards left right and centre.   10 year old Beth was Pupil of the Week, not for the first time.  Harrison (13) was in the team that won gold in an ice hockey tournament.  Mike (over 21)  was officer of the year in his police force.

4. My husband has finished work early and is snoozing beside me in the armchair.

5. We're having chips tonight.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,964
    My Yoga teacher often says: do you live in a permanent home, do you sleep in your own bed, do you have access to  clean water on tap, do you have at least one cooked meal a day? If you can say yes to all this you are in the most well off part of the world population, and so what is your problem?
    AB Still learning

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,047
    I am now 20 years older than my father was when he died. I pay next to nothing for my medical treatment. I now enjoy all kind of modern comfort that I didn't when I was a kid. I am quite pleased that my pension is high enough to enable me to pay income taxes for the benefit of everyone who needs it. I live in a country which has not been at war with another country since I was born. I live in a country where anyone is free to criticize the government and even---although I personally dislike it---to call the President names without being taken to jail on the spot. I deem myself incredibly lucky to live in this country and at this time in history. :)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,563
    Went for a walk today, up on the moor. There's a breath of Spring in the air, we had a glorious mackerel sky - storms coming in tonight - and a fabulous view across Porlock Bay from the top of the hill. My knees are shot and my dog only has 3 legs left, but we can both still make it up to the top and back down under our own steam. It's all fine.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,234
    Surely not an antidote - more a complement😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,459
    B3 said:
    Surely not an antidote - more a complement😉
    Different types of therapy.

Started to make progress on a couple of projects that have been on hold for too long today. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them now.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,449
    I am so pleased it was a really lovely spring- like day today and we have nearly finished cutting back our very overgrown berberis hedge, saving lots of money by doing it ourselves. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041
    I've finished re-decorating the kitchen  and got back to the gardening
    I saw my first Bumble Bee of the year and there are flowers for it
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,501
    My Yoga teacher often says: do you live in a permanent home, do you sleep in your own bed, do you have access to  clean water on tap, do you have at least one cooked meal a day? If you can say yes to all this you are in the most well off part of the world population, and so what is your problem?
    I'd get a new yoga teacher.  Somebody attempting to send me on a guilt trip all the time would just get on my wick.  Just like the constant ads during the day for every appeal under the sun!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,501
    On the reasons to be cheerful - Recently had our kitchen redone and we are really pleased with the results.  New neighbours (you always wonder what they will be like) are a lovely young couple who absolutely adore their new house.  Being retired and away from the office politics.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,459
    I ordered a plant on ebay which was supposed to be sent as a 12-15cm bare root cutting in a padded envelope. It seemed a bit of a gamble at this time of year but it was cheap enough to try it. I missed the postman by seconds and he shoved it through the letterbox as the package didn't have any 'fragile' or 'don't bend' labels on it. I feared the worst as it was just a soft envelope with no card to stop it getting mangled but when I unwrapped it all was healthy and they'd sent 3 nice rooted cuttings instead of just the one. If they all take I'll be very pleased. o:)