Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slug Pellets

Hello all
I was told last year at a garden show to put slug pellets out on the 14th of Feb.
Can anyone advise of which to use that won't be harmful to wildlife, any recommendations?
Thank you 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    Some info from the RSPB here may help

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • kerankeran Posts: 40
    Many thanks Pete, I think I will go for the beer traps in yoghurt pots.
  • @keran,..good idea to lay down Slug Pellets now and get rid of them before Spring as then by the time you zap them they will have sampled most of your new spring shoots.

There is a 'Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait',..( UG-4536 ) it contains Iron Phosphate,..it will not harm your Children,..Dogs or other Wildlife,..such as Hedgehogs  Earthworms and insects.

Philip
    Many thanks, it may be that then and then do the yoghurt pots during the year for any I have missed. Thank you
    Keran
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    The trick is to use the wildlife friendly slug pellets early, regularly and sparingly.   Scatter thinly around susceptible lants such as daffodils, hemerocallis, clematis and hostas sending out new, juicy spring shoots and so on.

Starting early means you get them as they emerge from hibernation or hatch from eggs and before they have a chance to feed and breed.  Don't scatter indiscriminately as some slugs recycle garden waste and plant debris.  Just do enough to protect your treasures.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
    I have just seen the price of the garden safe slug pellets wow a whopping £87 for a 2lb bag!!  
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    Shop around.  Growing Success have slug pellets in 575g packs for £6.84.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
    Thats more like it Obelixx - thank you 
  • Apparently used coffee grounds works as well, plus its safe and natural. Although we've never tried it. Supposedly something to do with the caffiene. 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 1,089
    edited February 2019

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog