Greenhouse floor options

Good morning, hoping someone can advise... This is my little greenhouse floor: 
So over the summer the original staging gave in in places (rotted away) and my husband fixed it for me by nailing some sheets of wood over the top of the holes! This has gone mouldy very quickly and looks ready to collapse at any minute, it’s not good to walk on. I’m wondering if I can fix it up myself by removing all the wood completely and laying down lots of gravel instead over the paving slabs underneath it all? Would this affect the practical function of the greenhouse at all? Does a greenhouse need a wooden floor? Thanks 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,637
    I would certainly remove the wood Elspeth!  I have never heard of a greenhouse having a wooden floor before to be honest. Are you planning on filling up the floor with gravel to the level of the step, or can you just leave the paving slabs as the base and put the pots on to those (using pot feet) ?
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,311
    Most greenhouse floors are materials which can withstand being sloshed with water on a regular basis. Most woods are, therefore, not really suitable. Paving slabs and / or shingle are ideal.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,132
    I agree - a wooden floor in a greenhouse is far from ideal.
    It'll also harbour all sorts of fungi that are not necessarily beneficial.
    Filling the space with gravel would work (or gravel topped with a few slabs), and there's no reason it would have to be the same height as the wooden floor (I guess).
    If it's attached to your house, just make sure there are no air bricks that the gravel may block up.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • elspethscottelspethscott Posts: 198
    Oh wow-who knew?! Ok, thanks so much everyone. The paving slabs underneath are pretty broken up with weeds growing through etc so was thinking of using gravel to suppress them, then maybe a row of slabs down the middle as a ‘path’. It wouldn’t come to the level of the original staging but that’s no biggie. Not attached to house so no probs with air bricks, I feel a weekend project coming on... Thanks again!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,073
    Just a thought put a membrane down before gravel will stop the weeds.
    Thanks purpleallium, great idea! 
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 412
    Hi @elspethscott,

Another option would be to use self levelling compound to fill the holes and create a nice flat base prior to topping off with your gravel chips.

Bee x
      image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 
    Thanks bee, that sounds like a magical thing! Thanks for the tip
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,720
    We have 2 greenhouses with slabs one with single all work fine
    Thanks nanny beach, I can’t wait til it’s sorted, it’s so mouldy and foul in there just now 😢