Forum home The potting shed

Gardening to Lose Weight?

Does the gardening help you to lose weight? My sister is also fond of gardening. 

So, as soon as she started to do it she lost a lot of weight and just became slimmer. I spend a lot of time in the garden too, but haven’t lost any weight! 

I already drink Garcinia to reduce my appetite, and I bought Nivele for my thighs. I’m hoping that at least it will help.

What about you? Did you manage to lose weight? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,701
    Losing weight is a simple mathematical equation.

Eat more calories than you burn off and get fat.  Burn more calories than you eat and lose weight.   

Exercise, such as gardening, will help burn calories and turn fat into muscle so you look and feel trimmer but, most importantly, being outdoors messing with plants and soil and the birds and bees satisfies your soul and makes you happier.

I usually blob a bit in winter and trim a bit from spring to autumn.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,867
    You lose most weight gardening if you are too busy to stop for tea and biscuit breaks and lunch! There IS good exercise in double digging and turning the compost so you can save money on the gym, but I'm afraid it's pretty simple - don't eat, get slimmer - eat, stay where you are.....
  • It's not just spending time in the garden, though that may well make you happier as Obelixx says, it's what you do there!
    Pottering about deadheading and doing a bit of weeding won't have a big effect, it's the heavy digging,  carting  compost and manure and  other jobs that work up a sweat and make you out of breath that are going to help you lose weight, providing you don't overdo things all at once.
    Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on questionable 'weight loss' products, I prefer to drink good quality fruit or herbal teas and get stuck into a gardening project. I can easily pass a mealtime without even noticing then :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,701
    I agree BCD and if you want to reduce appetite, just drink a glass of water before a meal or have a large mug of hot water and a good chunk of fresh ginger grated into it.  Steep 10 mins and drink.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Many years ago, I tackled a big row of conifers all by myself in my new house. I could see them from my local park! It didn't occur to me to get anyone in to do it. I lost weight without realising it.

The majority of gardens simply would not burn that amount of calories for very long but they all give a feeling of well being. That could help with diet and mental health in the long run.

SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,356
    Call me cynical, but I was waiting for the advert.... ;)

Unless you have several acres, and are doing heavy work all the time, gardening won't make you lose weight as such.
    It'll keep you fit - mentally and physically though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,806
    Fairygirl said:
    Call me cynical, but I was waiting for the advert.... ;)

Unless you have several acres, and are doing heavy work all the time, gardening won't make you lose weight as such.
    It'll keep you fit - mentally and physically though.
    Looks to me that the advert’s there in the text ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,356
    I didn't like to say Dove, but that was my thought. I was giving the benefit of the doubt, while waiting for the more obvious attempt!  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    Not just me then ! Obviously too subtle for my little brain !
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,146
    In answer to @AnniD @Fairygirl & @Dovefromabove ...
    We have all the usual ingredients of adverts (save a link to a commercial product):
    • first time poster
    • only vaguely related to gardening
    • mentioning "my sister" to make the story seemingly more "connected" to real life
    • mentioning 2 "miracle products"
    I think this discussion should be removed.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).