Forum home Garden design

new home with established hedges

Hi,

We have just purchased a new home with mature hedges throughout - I am not sure of the type of plants..they are - 5 different varieties..

My question is I have been using the power shears to keep them looking boxy and manicured..but have read recently this may be bad for the plant.  Am I OK to keep the hedges looking square throughout the year?  I prefer this look over the more sp

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,722
    What sort of hedges are they ? Picture would help I.D them for you  ;) 
  • PdubPdub Posts: 6
    Ok thanks, I will get some pics up tomorrow as it is dark now.  Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,981
    Hi Pdub. It is considered wise to taper hedges slightly keeping them a bit wider at the bottom than at the top. There are two reasons for this. Firstly it allows sunlight to reach more of the hedge and secondly if there are any heavy snowfalls, the tapering will allow snow to be shed more easily. Flat topped hedges, in a heavy snowfall, can have their branches splayed outwards and possibly split from the main trunks. You may be in an area where you manage to escape heavy snow though but as Perki says, a picture showing your hedge would be a reat help.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    Ok, pics as follows.  I had just trimmed everything yesterday prior to making my first post here as an FYI.

Ladybird4 said:
    Hi Pdub. It is considered wise to taper hedges slightly keeping them a bit wider at the bottom than at the top. There are two reasons for this. Firstly it allows sunlight to reach more of the hedge and secondly if there are any heavy snowfalls, the tapering will allow snow to be shed more easily. Flat topped hedges, in a heavy snowfall, can have their branches splayed outwards and possibly split from the main trunks. You may be in an area where you manage to escape heavy snow though but as Perki says, a picture showing your hedge would be a reat help.
    Thanks,

I should mention that we live in central florida so snow is not an issue.  It is about 70deg out currently.  Not sure if that impacts shearing schedules or patterns or not?

Thanks
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,981
    Thank you for the explanation as to where you are situated. This is a site situated in the UK and the members are predominantly in Britain and Europe. Because of your climate (quite jealous here!) you should be fine in making your hedge into the blocky shape you described in your first post. I would say from your pictures that what you have done is perfectly fine but it might be an idea to try and find an American Gardening site where the members can give you appropriate advice. Good luck and a happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    Ladybird4 said:
    Thank you for the explanation as to where you are situated. This is a site situated in the UK and the members are predominantly in Britain and Europe. Because of your climate (quite jealous here!) you should be fine in making your hedge into the blocky shape you described in your first post. I would say from your pictures that what you have done is perfectly fine but it might be an idea to try and find an American Gardening site where the members can give you appropriate advice. Good luck and a happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.
    Oh!  I didnt realize!

Thanks for the info and I will follow up with some US forums, but I am glad that it sounds ok.  Happy new year to you too 😁