Forum home Garden design

Garden design guidance/advice

andymg0907andymg0907 Posts: 7
edited December 2018 in Garden design
Hello
A newbie here, we have just moved to a new build and are now tasked with setting up the garden.

Ideally I would like some fruit trees and evengreen color foliage, along with some deciduous trees of varying height just so to have some character. The garden is south facing and overlooked at the back side. Please see the garden plan of the plot, what you see is the garden patch ( in green border).

I have just bought the plants listed below but I'm not sure of where exactly to place them, I could just plant them as I feel right (tall plants at back and short plants at front) but it would be great if I get some guidance.

Most of the plants will arrive either as root stock or in 9cm pots.

Any help/guidance will be appreciated! 

1. Syringa vulgaris: grows to 10-15ft tall  
2. Hibiscus syriacus Blue: grows to 4-5ft. 
3. Forsythia intermedia 'Spectabilis':  grows to Height 4-5 ft. 
4. Deutzia scabra: grows to around 8ft tall 
5. Berberis thunbergii 'Atropurpurea': grows to Height 3-4ft. 
6. Symphoricarpos albus: grows to Height 3-4ft.
7. Cornus alba:  grows to Height 3-4ft. 
8. Potentilla ‘Red Ace’: grows to Height 2-3ft.
9. Spirea douglasii: grows to height 3ft 
10. Hypericum moserianum grows to Height 3-4ft. 
11. Philadelphus coronarius: grows to Height 5-6ft.
12. Weigela rosea:  grows to Height 3-4ft.
13. Berberis 'Red Pillar' 'grows to 4 ft tall and 1.5 mtrs wide
14. Choisya ternata Sundance grows to 8 ft tall and 2.5 mtrs wide
15. Ceanothus thyrs C. thyrsiflorus var. grows to 5 ft tall 4 mtrs wide
16. Cotoneaster Coral Beaut grows to 3 ft tall 2.5 mtrs wide
17. Viburnum tin. 'grows to 8 ft tall and 2.5 mtrs wide
18. Euonymus fort Harlequin 'grows to 3 ft tall 1 mtrs wide
19. Apple tree: 
20. Pear tree: 
21: plum tree: 
22: 4x Azalea evergreen shrub 90 cm tall

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,771
    What are the dimensions of your garden ? which way facing south ? Soil conditions ? A lot of the plants in my opinion are one hit wonders flower are 2-3 weeks but rather bland and boring after , stunning when in flower but I think you have to many (pending on size of plot )
  • andymg0907andymg0907 Posts: 7
    edited December 2018
    The plot picture is facing north.

Roughly the length at the back is 16 mtrs and width is around 14 mtrs, we did calculation for the turf and it came to around 230 sq.mtrs roughly. 

Agree on your thoughts about one hit wonders hence I have gone with colorful foliage whereever possible. 

Not sure about the Soil condition but we had top up soil from a farm nearby and grass has sprouted very well and we hadnt even put seeds in it..

PS: Updated the picture to include facing direction and dimension.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,771
    edited December 2018
    A picture would help  ;) 
    Are you having a lawn in the middle with borders around the edges ? or one side lawned with a deep border ? or no lawn? Could do with a bit more info its difficult to image someones else garden.

I know you don't want to hear this but i would scrap the Spirea douglasii & Snowberry ( symphoricarpos alba ) both are thugs grow more like 6 ft tall and send suckers out trying to overtake the place. 

Some of your plants are going to take a long time to get to full size like the V.Tinus so I wouldn't worry about full size and it can be pruned to be smaller. Most of them are going to take a while to get to a good size.

Ceaothus would benefit being sheltered from cold winds, they can suffer die back. I've seen a lot of nearly dead ones after last winter. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,095
    Perki said:

I know you don't want to hear this but i would scrap the Spirea douglasii & Snowberry ( symphoricarpos alba ) both are thugs grow more like 6 ft tall and send suckers out trying to overtake the place. 

You beat me to it @Perki
    I'm afraid I'd consider them weeds
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,409
    You seem to have a lot of plants for that amount of space.
    Now is not a great time for planting out things in 9cm. pots, I would grow them on in pots, until they are bigger. [ repotting as necessary ]
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,657
    Too late now but you should not buy new plants for a new garden without having a plan and without knowing the soild requirements and growth habits of the plants - all easy to find on sites like the RHS.

I do agree with Pdoc about growing those plants on in pots and also with dumpng the spiraea and snowberry.    While your plants grow on, get a large pad - A3 - and draw a grid on one sheet so you can scale your garden plan.    Then use similar size sheets of tracing paper on which you have your garden outline drawn to scale. 

I would then play with having a diagonal path from house to furthest corner to ame the garden seem wider or else a series of circles - one for lawn, one for terrace, one for orchard etc and see how that feels so you know where your palnting areas are.

Now draw out scale sized circles for each shrub and tree and colour them according to foliage/flowers and write on the name.   You can then shuffle these about on the tracing paper to get a pleasing combination but do take into account their sun, shade and shelter requirements.   Cut out also a seating area which needs to be at least the size of your table plus a metre all round for chairs and movement and a BBQ too if you plan on having one.   Don't forget a work area, shed for storing tools, compost bins etc.

Make sure you use vertical planes like fences, trellis pergolas, arches to raise the eye above ground and plant level as that also maeks the garden seem bigger and also more private.

Play on paper before you get stuck in to digging and planting.  It will pay dividends and save loads of time.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,686
    Hi there @andymg0907 I totally agree with @Obelixx that "[it's] too late now but you should not buy new plants for a new garden without having a plan and without knowing the soild requirements and growth habits of the plants". You did "put the cart before the horse". :(
    Far too many shrubs and trees for such a small garden. No plans for a lawn? not a single herbaceous perennial? Are you trying to set up a jungle?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,381
    Unfortunately as others have said, you needed to do lots of checks first.
    In a small garden you can’t grow lots of big trees, you’ve also chosen plants that will grow in alkaline and acid soil, so some won’t grow well at all. Fruit trees don’t do well in acid soil nor will syringa.  Azaleas won’t do well in alkaline soil.  
    They all look very sweet in tiny pots, they will grow. 
    I would do some research then try to sell what you can’t grow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,355
    If you are really bemused and confused by what you've got give us more information about the look you're trying to achieve ... :)

Can you find any pics online that show the sort of garden you want?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,760
    You also need to know which fruit trees you have and what rootstock they're on.

The rootstock indicates how large they will grow - some of the very dwarfing rootstocks are suitable for pot / patio planting but 3 full size trees would require space and give a very different feel to your garden. 
    Also, many fruit trees need a suitable pollinating partner to produce fruit - but some are self-fertile. If you're hoping to pick your own fruit, you need to know which varieties of each tree you have.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down