Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden gone!

About two feet and more has fallen into my neighbours foundation diggings! 
The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• Oh dear!  Is he giving it back?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Well I think it might be a different bit! The foundations were very very deep,allowing for block and beam,but my Aliums have gone,and a Lemon Thyme is hanging on for grim death!!😯😯
  • Do you have anything to put in the hole to prop it?  Otherwise you could get more sliding away.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • They need to get their builder on to this straight away, you have a claim against them under the Party wall regulations.
    AB Still learning

• At the moment I'm feeling the wall bit facing our side has to be rendered to make good,so the builder will have to stand this side to do it,therefore the soil will have to be replaced for him to stand on!! Just going to wait and see what happens! Thankfully our terrace didn't succumb,that would have been a lot more serious!
    These little Welsh valley gardens,tend to be a bit on top of each other!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    edited December 2018
    They need to get their builder on to this straight away, you have a claim against them under the Party wall regulations.
    Absolutely agree ... this could be serious and potentially affect the stability (and value) of your home.  They might need to get a qualified structural surveyor to advise on this (at their expense of course). Your property insurer may well need to be involved too. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you guys for your advice, maybe it's best to get our insurers to take a look! Especially as there are old mines way down.......sink hole springs to mind.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,569
    Blimey, in that case l would get them on site as soon as possible.
  • Ah.    Then yes, you need to get a surveyor and your insurer involved as you live in a sink hole area.  
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • Thank you guys for your advice, maybe it's best to get our insurers to take a look! Especially as there are old mines way down.......sink hole springs to mind.
    I wondered about that ...

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.