RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch

Had an email from RSPB to say Garden Birdwatch starts from 12 December. Hard to believe it's almost a year since the last one. Will many of you be taking part again?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,888
    This early?  It's usually around my birthday at the end of January
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,950
    Actually it's the registration that starts on 12 Dec. The Big Birdwatch itself is in January, as usual. See https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/everything-you-need-to-know-about-big-garden-birdwatch/

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 939
    Trust me to get it wrong :/ I just read "take part from 12 December". Thanks for correcting me as I thought it was too early. Hope the weather has improved by then.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,174
    Aww Fran , nothing wrong with being eager :) It is a nice reminder for anyone who has not taken part or does not know about it to learn and get registered. 
  • Do you think they would mind if I put '64 Little Brown Jobs and 1 Wood Pigeon'?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 939
     :) 
  • Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 71
    I'll be having a go again although I think my count might be meagre compared to last year, we've moved to a newish build house and although its not a built up area there doesn't seem to be as many birds around  :(  does it take a while for them to 'move in'?  There's a fair few trees about but young ones. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    It can take a while Julia, but 'if you build it, they will come'  :)
    It'll be interesting to keepa diary of it over a few years to see any increases.
    Create as good a space as you can for them with the right planting, and other little bits and pieces so that you get a vareity of wildlfie and insects in. That helps attract birds. Feeding consistently too. 
    I moved back to this area five years ago, and inherited a very blank space of a garden, and now it's like Sauchiehall Sreet on the Saturday before Christmas  :D
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,888
    We've got very few birds in the garden this year compared to the same time in other years, although the robin was about yesterday.  I think many of the others may still be down on the marshes ... it's been such a good year for seeds etc there's plenty for them down there, and shelter too ... I think that when the weather begins to turn properly wintry we'll see them back although nesting time is when we see the most.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I will be taken part, I have always done it and just love it. We have recently moved house and I have never seen so many Starlings. We have only moved 2 miles and where we lived before there were hardly any. I just love watching them sitting on the telephone wires of an evening and in the trees. My garden at the moment, (well it's not a garden really just a mess), will hopefully be a little more inviting for the birds by January.  :)