Forum home Garden design

Lay new lawn now or wait .....?

Hi all 

Part of my new look garden is a new lawn so i set about a few weeks ago to prepare , so far iv'e  removed the old lawn , dug down 6 inches & turned the soil over & then tilled the area so that the soil is now to a fine tilth . 

Next is to level the soil with the surrounding paving & then to compact the soil & then add the final layer of fine soil / sharp sand to determine the correct level 

Over the next few day's i'm hoping to have this done & ready for the new turf , i'd like a really nice type lawn , golf green type etc ... 

Question is should i carry on now & lay the turfs in the next week or two or just sit back & wait for the spring ? 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,082
    Do it now, turfing can be done as long as the ground isn't frozen. You pay quite a price for sports / luxury. Have you seen any turf you like ? You have more selection growing from seed, seed can't be done now and will take longer to establish. 
  • Tiny01Tiny01 Posts: 72
    Thanks , i'd like to do it now to save looking at bare soil all winter , yes know it's not cheap but doing it right so it will last now , have you any recommendations for luxury turf on line 
  • Agree, do it now so you don't then have the issue of weeds in spring. But spend lots of time on levelling
     Don't use a roller or compactor, just your feet, rake, and keep going over. 

I'd suggest a good local turf supplier. National firms quality is going downhill,  regardless of which Olympic medal they name their turf after! 
    Thank you both for your reply’s , I’ve had a bit more time working the soil today & managed to get a straight edge to height through the middle so that it’s easier to work with , I’ve trodden down the soil all over & then raked again , I’d say that I’m 15-20mm low of the level that I want ( top of paving all round ) & maybe a couple of high spots still to take off & a couple of areas that are still soft underfoot so I’ll continue to work these areas .
    I’m thinking of bringing the final height up using some kind of lawn soil / conditioner to help level & secondly help to give the turf the best start possible , what do you think ? 

Top soil is want you want, you can add sand to help drainage.  Not sure what you mean about lawn soil , I assume you are referring to lawn top dressing which is used on top of the turf for removing divots and other benefits.
    Perki said:
    Top soil is want you want, you can add sand to help drainage.  Not sure what you mean about lawn soil , I assume you are referring to lawn top dressing which is used on top of the turf for removing divots and other benefits.
    Yes thanks I got in a muddle I’ll continue to level using a mixture of top soil / sharp sand 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,091
    Lay asap, sand, thats funny we used sand as a weedkiller.
    Better late than never but I spent lots of time levelling & rakeing & finnaly got the new lawn laid today , really pleased with the results :) 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    That looks lovely.  Something tells me that you won't have to worry about watering!  Nice job  :)
    Looks great Tiny  :) I hope you don't want to get the shed ( don't walk on it ). Do you know what variety of turf/grass you went with ? did you buy a golf green turf in the end