Forum home Problem solving

Repotting Bird of Paradise?

I have a beautiful bird of Paradise I bought in the spring. It spent the summer outdoors and I just recently brought it indoors. It’s doing very well. In fact, I discovered the roots have grown out of the bottom of the thick plastic pot which I didn’t realize because it was sitting inside of a larger clay planter. I asked someone at a local nursery if I should re-pot now or wait until the spring and she advised me to wait. My instincts tell me to go against her advice, but I’m a novice at the this and still learning the ropes. Any second opinions would be greatly appreciated!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    I'd do it now as those escaping roots will only get bigger and are better off in a growing medium than in thin air or puddles of water.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • That’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,294
    And when you pot it on, fill the pot up to within an inch or two of the rim (while keeping the soil at the same level on the plant).

Not filling the plant pot properly is a false economy.  Plants need plenty of rootspace.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much that’s very helpful. 
  • Thanks for the advice. Replanted and seems to be doing well. I installed a few grow lights as well to help with the lack of sunlight. 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,282
    So glad you followed the advice given here as your plant looks well happy now  :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    The general guidance for repotting plants is to do it when they're growing strongly (usually in spring) as the roots will fill out the pot more quickly. Soil without roots in it stays wetter for longer so there's a risk the plant can be sat in damp soil for too long over the winter and this can cause root rot. In your case I'd say you did the right thing as the roots were already too big for the pot and your grow lights will keep the plant actively growing. I'd still be careful with the watering though.
  • Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind.