Forum home The potting shed

A peoples' manifesto for wildlife

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,739

Has anyone had a chance to read through this yet? There's some interesting ideas in there that are of interest to gardeners such as:

Planning approval required for fake grass on more than 10% of a garden.
Compulsary hedgehog holes in fences.
Incentives for home composting.

It's the first draft and they welcome feedback. Personally I think it's a good start, too weak in some areas and too strong to be feasible in others but at least it's ambitious and entirely based on well researched fact. There are some eye opening facts presented too which everyone in the UK should be aware of as it shows where our money is being spent and how corrupt some of our government policies are.

aaaand without wanting to start up on the whole cat argument again I find this document quite weak on any proposals to tackle the problem of cats killing wildlife. It just goes to show that if you want to get the people on board you can't threaten their liberty when it comes to fluffy pets. :|

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,955
    To be fair, if you suggested putting all domestic cats down, no one would ever consider any other part of the document.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,739
    I was thinking more of tackling the feral cat issue and maybe some tighter rules or subsidies for neutering etc. Possibly a suggestion for an awareness campaign for all types of pet ownership. I think the dog proposals are all sensible too but I can see why they don't want to get bogged down in those debates.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 533
    Hi wild edges .... thanks for posting this link.
    I agree it's a useful start .... but very little here about bees / beekeeping.
    This is surprising given that Professor Dave Coulson is one of the contributors.
    Bee xx
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 182
    Goulson (not Coulson) I think you mean.
    I think if you add up all the proposals for controls on pesticide use and the improvements on green areas and farming it would leave us with a good landscape for all pollinators rather than just focusing on bees. 

There are some areas that need more focus though like Planning and urban design. I see a lot of housing projects through work where ecological proposals are presented at Planning application stage to justify building on green spaces but often don't get implemented due to lack of enforcement.
  • A more joined up approach would be a good idea
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915
    edited October 2018
    the problem is that if you mention animals people keep as pets (cats/dogs mainly) in the 'remove/reduce' sense people will just stop reading.

idea's i've had over the years

stick to improving natural habitats, increasing areas of unimproved grassland/meadowland, native woodland, wetlands (introduction of beavers?) improve where they live and animal numbers will recover.

reintroduction schemes for pine martins to control grey squirrels (they preferentially go after greys over reds as they're bigger), Lynx to control deer numbers

improve urban areas by including a specific number of native trees that must be planted (and maintained/replaced if dead for 10 years after completion of construction) per hectare of new developments, increase the sizes of gardens in new developments (hedgehog fencing is a good idea), make it so that ALL brown field sites in a district have been built on before any green land is considered for development

stop building on floodplains, let them flood instead!

i could go on....and on......and on
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,824
    Interesting document @wild edges thanks for posting the link.

I think it's almost always better to conserve an environment rather than a single species, so in the main @treehugger80, I agree with you.

On brownfield sites though, it's not straightforward. We are currently trying to get permission to convert a small ramshackle barn in the centre of a town into housing. The town council are in favour, but the Planners won't give permission basically because they aren't sure and they don't have the funds to come out and actually look at it. It's safer to refuse, where there are close neighbours who might complain for any reason, whether genuine or spurious. Greenfield sites are much clearer cut. If the town could not build anywhere because the planners (who are based 20 miles away) could not afford to make a decision on a small piece of derelict land, they'd be left in limbo for no good reason.
    Would you say 'only the brownfield sites with planning approved have to be previously developed'? In which case the big house-builders would simply buy up all the potential sites and sit on them. 
    Would you say 'only the brownfield sites where planning reasonably could be achieved?' In which case who would fund the planners to make a decision in principle on every site in a district with or without an application?

There's also a contrary argument which says that some brownfield sites have become immensely useful as wildlife havens within urban areas, where it desperately needs a home, whereas one farmed field more or less probably makes a less critical difference.

I agree with stopping building on flood plains. The EA do stop a lot of it. But the big house builders work to different rules to everyone else, unfortunately.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett

improve urban areas by including a specific number of native trees that must be planted

i liked the footnote at the end:

'This pamphlet is not made from any of the thousands of street trees which have been unnecessarily felled in Sheffield'

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,955
    If you lived in Sheffield and were prepared to see the issue with a more open mind, you may see the Sheffield story differently.
    NO, i don't work for Sheffield Council or Amey, and yes I am a great supporter of wildlife and own quite a lot of trees in Sheffield.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through