Forum home Problem solving

Is this mushroom poisonous?

Hi folks, we’ve had some small mushrooms in the lawn for a few months. Ignored them so far, but just spotted this bad boy against the fence. Id be grateful if anyone could asvise if its toxic, either to humans per pets. It doesnt look very friendly, but id appreciate some knowledge on this particular variety if anyone can help? Thanks in advance. 

Posts

  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,723
    Looks like one of the Ink Caps. If so then not poisonous, unless you eat it with alcohol. They only last a few hours before turning to slime and disappearing.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,290
    It' a stink horn. it stinks but is actually edible in the egg stage, I don't know why one would try it the "egg" is full of slime!
  • Thanks both. Definitely don’t fancy trying it, it looks like that eggs well and truly gone off!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,858
    The Latin name for your mushroom is Phallus impudicus, which doesn’t require much knowledge of Latin to understand.

    There are several types of them. Here is a photo of a chap holding another one.


    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,430
    That is a bit of a sight for this early in the morning. I need another cup of coffee.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  •  :# 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,728
    Poisonous or not I'm not eating that :|
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
Sign In or Register to comment.