Forum home The potting shed

Advice on using lavender in baking.

2»

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,951
    edited October 2018
    I think the key with lavender in cakes is to use a tiny amount, so you can't even really id it. Like rose water or cloves.

For a mysterious, interesting element.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,126
    I love shortbread [rather too much for my own good] - it's our national food here. It's the law that you have to eat it regularly... :D  
    I wouldn't sully it with lavender though, but then - I personally hate the stuff - both scent and plant  :(

Joking apart - I think it's one of those flavours that needs very careful handling. I would agree with r'girl about using it in a certian way rather than in the mix itself.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I’ve had some lavender shortbread in Scotland and it was really nice. But then I do like lavender in my herbal tea. And I drink Earl Grey green tea! 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,878
    It's a bit like cinnamon. I love it, I have heard others describe it as tasting like antiseptic. Coriander (leaf) tastes like soap to me, plenty of people put handfuls in salad (and then I pick them out again). 

I love shortbread, including 'neat'  :) There's much to be said for "it's not broke so don't fix it" in cooking. But if you want to sell cookery books, you have to come up with slight changes in recipes in order to avoid copyright infringements. There's only so much you can do with a recipe as simple as shortbread, so there are a few rather silly ideas out there.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,126
    It's a bit like cinnamon. I love it, I have heard others describe it as tasting like antiseptic. Coriander (leaf) tastes like soap to me, plenty of people put handfuls in salad (and then I pick them out again). 

I love both of those r'girl, but I can understand why others don't. Coriander in particular. It can be soapy if it's overused.  You can definitely have too much of a good thing  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,648
    I love coriander too, both seeds and fresh leaves but I can't find the leaves here except for some very scrappy ones if I visit an Asian store so I shall have to have a go at growing it again.  Always gone to seed before so this will be a challenge.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw