Forum home Plants

What to do with Nerine bulbs?

Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,455
I dug these up earlier in the week as they hadn't flowered (but now think the snails got at them) and I'm not sure what to do with them now. I'm thinking of potting them up in big black plastic pots in a 50% MPC/50% sharp sand mix and storing them in a dry place over the winter. Then next year I can either drop them in the border and/or put them in more decorative pots. Will this work do you think?  Or should I just store them dry in a mesh or paper bag?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,654
    Can't you put them in the garden?  I've just planted some that I had in pots, the pink ones in full bloom.. I also have some blush white ones, forgot the name... also in flower... they seem to do well here in East Anglia, so I don't worry about them.. I believe they do not like deep planting, and the crown of the bulb should be surface level or just above even.. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,455
    Yes I could, but we do have a snail problem in the oldish not quite drystone wall which is in the sunniest part of the garden and they'd get continually eaten which is what I think happened before. I don't like using slug pellets if I can avoid it so my thinking was that if I could keep the nerines in pots stood on my purple slate square which the snails don't like, I might actually get to enjoy some flowers next year! 
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 598
    The word on the street is they don't like to be disturbed, but needs must. It probably means that they still won't flower next year. I just had a single flower from a bunch that I planted last year. Mine are in location where the sun is a bit late to arrive though.