Cloche hoops

I have sheets of corrugated polycarbonate and wanted to use them for winter protection. I have seen metal cloche hoops online but they are quiet pricey and majority don't have the bottom support piece to hold it in place. Any DIYs or cheaper suppliers anyone knows of?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,262
    Lengths of old hosepipe with bamboo canes in the ends. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,941
    edited October 2018
    I use alkathene water pipe with bits of cane in the end.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31388?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYCVrvuM3gIVFOd3Ch2R2gY0EAQYASABEgI9HPD_BwE
    You might be able to blag some offcuts if you know a builder/plumber or have a nice person at the builders' merchants
    Devon.
    ‘alkathene pipe’ ... that’s what I meant ... couldn’t remember what it was called :flushed:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

‘alkathene pipe’ ... that’s what I meant ... couldn’t remember what it was called :flushed:
    See? I have my uses: sometimes.
    Devon.
    You’re extremely useful @Hostafan1 ... as well as being ornamental ... William Morris would approve  ;)

You’re extremely useful @Hostafan1 ... as well as being ornamental ... William Morris would approve  ;)

Aw shucks.  <3
    Devon.
    diana 1 said:
    I use the kids old Hola Hoop with a piece of cane to hold it in the ground. I might add they kid have grown up an moved away.
    I've just had visions of the kids walking round saying "Muuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm, where's hour hula hoop gone??"
    Devon.
    diana 1 said:
    Hostafan1, The kids are now  twins 35 yrs old then one at 32 yrs old. They would have been taken down the tip so I found a use for them, the hoops I mean not the kids.
    Have you yet to find a use for the kids?  ;)
    Devon.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    I made a cloche using the same sheets. I took a Stanley knife and cut through one of the two lengthwise sides and this created the ability to "hinge" the plastic along the same length. Worked very well. 
  • Perennial gardenerPerennial gardener Posts: 32
    edited October 2018
    Might try out with hula hoops attaching a cane to the bottom to hold the corrugated sheet in place. Thanks for the help